Paper oil cans

El Rat

Well Known Member
If you are under 60 you won’t believe it. If you are over 68 or so it probably brought memories. Note: obviously the ends were tin.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have some Trop-arctic paper quarts. Some still full, some have leaked. They are on a shelf in an old garage and oil has soaked through the siding. I don't think paint is going to stick there anymore.

62BillT

Well Known Member
I remember well. They sure did leak, even when fairly new.

All tin cans soon followed.

Plastic today are a waste in my opinion. They should go back to all tin.

Who still has their metal can opener with the spout? I still have mine, lol.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I worked at a couple Mobil stations back in the day before self serve gas stations, you would wash the windows and check the oil on every car while it was filling up. Those push in spouts always leaked, you had to wrap a paper towel or shop rag around the can while filling.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I had filling station for about a year till I got my fill of it, hard to find good help ,long hours just got tired of it. Anyway I would sell quarts of drain oil from cans half price to the oil burners. Lol I even had a guy with a old ranchero wanted 90 weight for his oil burning engine .

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I didn't drain the oil cans, however I would do oil changes, then record that I sold each quart separately and a filter that someone wanted. The oil change fee? What oil change? Lets just say it got donated to the poor :brow

62BillT

Well Known Member
We also had a Bulk Oil drain rack at the Texaco station I worked at. We sold it for 25 Cents a quart. A friend of mine had a '65 Mustang that smoked like a freight train. I would sell him Bulk Oil, till he realized he could get the pit oil for free, lol. No telling how many quarts I gave him.