Parking Brake Ajustment

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Can't seem to get a good adjustment on the parking brake. Seems like the rod #11 is not straight like the attached picture. The bracket hole seems to be elongated causing the rod to lean to one side which causes slack in the front cable. Is this a common problem? Can a washer be welded to the bracket to bring the clearance back?
Anything else to look for?

Thanks,
Mike

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Why can't you just take the #11 rod out and straighten it or replace it? It is pretty common to find them bent. Can't remember but I do think the bracket hole is elongated for #11 rod. I have a real nice #4 bracket if you need one or weld up the hole and redrill.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
As Tripower mentioned , the hole is elongated ,i am agreeing with that , if it was a hole only the rod could not swivel in the bracket. It is spring loaded so it can return to up right position when releasing park brake.Just check adjustment and adjust rear cable's and front cable as needed.Hopefully the lever's are in the rear brake's.

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Can't seem to get a good adjustment on the parking brake. Seems like the rod #11 is not straight like the attached picture. The bracket hole seems to be elongated causing the rod to lean to one side which causes slack in the front cable. Is this a common problem? Can a washer be welded to the bracket to bring the clearance back?
Anything else to look for?

Thanks,
Mike

Got it corrected!
Used a combination of the assembly manual and repair manual.
You must maintain the 1.00 +/- 1/8 on the forward cable bracket in relationship to the frame bracket. This dimension must be met with the foot lever at one click and the rear equalizer disconnected.
Once the front dimension is set reconnect the rear cables. Set the foot brake to six clicks. Adjust rear equalizer nut to allow the rear brakes to have a slight drag.
Thank you for ever bodies help.

Mike