Performance clutch & pressure plate recommendations

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
10 spline T-10; 3.55 P case chunk, rebuilt all that, inland empire telescoping driveshaft: The anonymous "aftermarket" clutch gave up the ghost today. What happened was, I came home from work right on time; 1530 hrs. Washed the car. Of course too hot to chamois the remaining paint. So it had to be "air dried." So I decided to Go down to my Dad's friends shop who is an old racer. 1st pass, perfect, posi hooked up; real nice patch...Second pass, posi hooked up, clutch went by by...I have a blow proof bell housing I have been meaning to put in any way. My Dad's buddy came out of the garage, but all he saw was tailights. He called me and left a message "Hey dummy, where do you want me to put all the parts of that 62 that fell off when you were doing your launches?" He actually loves the car! I was like a "Blue Angel" for a few seconds, all the mechanics came out to cheer!:crazy:brow:D

Seriously need something that is proven to work well. Rather not experiment.

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Think the Center Force standard or dual friction clutch would be more than good for you.
Roger that. I can tell you that the machine shop, been there along time, was proud that I chewed up starters and clutches! I dont think I have over 500 miles on the engine! I appreciate the guidance. Definitely was not a name brand clutch, but from a reputable parts supplier. I broke it, my fault.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am running the McLeod 75321 clutch in my 62 with a 671 blown 380 and have been very happy with it. I only have around 550 miles on the whole combo so far and no track time yet but it is a mostly street car and I think it will do ok for the occasional track time it might see.

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for the advice fellas. I installed the McLeod today. Drove it about 40 miles nice and easy. I like it very much so far. Nice set up; comes with a nice throw out bearing and a new bushing for the crank.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I've found a good way to remove bronze bushings is to use a stick welder. Weld circles inside the bushing until it gets hot. Usually come right out. At least they did 20 years ago.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Never tried that on a bushing yet Dave but that trick works well on bearing races in wheel ends. I used to thread a large bolt I found that fit it good into them and a large washer and nut to pull them or pack grease behind them and use a shaft and hammer and push them out that way. Now I got more refined and use my slide hammer. Also I didn’t use the pilot bushing that came with my McLeod kit it was magnetic and my crank needed the smaller od bushing. I got a nice one from autogear that has no steel in it. Some people say the bushings with steel can ruin an input shaft I didn’t want to chance it and made sure mine was a quality oilite bushing.

Last edited:

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
More to the story of yesterday;

So I drove it to work; about 40 miles south with the failing clutch. A coworker and I went out in it to eat some lunch, the Z-bar broke on the left outer side, at the pivot point, taking the fork with it; clutch pedal went to the floor. I had the new clutch in the box in the trunk. So we went to lunch any way. I managed to start the car in first gear with the PMGR starter, amazing torque that little thing puts out. Turned the key, the car starts moving and then lites off! Went back to the shop, about five miles and ran it gently. Got it on the lift, started at three, had it apart by 5. Assembly required some welding to repair the Z-bar. I fabricated a new lower clutch fork push rod; 2" longer, so my adjustment was centered on the upper. Cleaned everything as I took it apart. Finished at 1230am. An hour to clean the shop and put tools away; was home at 0230 this morning! Some 8 ball pulled up next to me on the interstate and took a flash picture of the car, almost causing me to have a "Cousin Eddie microwave moment." I woke up the wife and the dog when I pulled into homeplate. Boy was I tired...Took off today to clean my shop and wash the car.