Perspective

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Hey guys, let's put this 348/409 meet in perspective. We now have two entities vying for our participation in their event. It's true that we cannot have the big turnout for both events, Thompson and Norwalk, One of the events probably Norwalk due to the date probably will not have the 348/409 crowd that the the Thompson event will. That doesn't mean that we can't still have a good turn out, and a good time for the Norwalk event! I was thinking about going to both! How many of you would be interested in coming to both the Thompson event and the Norwalk event? Sure, some of the big name 409 guys wouldn't be there but some of the little guys, me included would. We could still have a good time and have our own place at Norwalk.

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
2010 Get Together

Ray,
I think, for the best interest of the "Fred Totten Annual Memorial Shootout", that we commit to just ONE event as a group. That being said, with the information you have posted today, and what others are saying, I believe that Thompson is the rightful home for the event (it is also close to where Fred called Home!). I agree, 409 members can get together anytime, and anyplace they wish, we do it here on the east coast regularly with MANDRA. I think the biggest concern you will find with the racers', as far as moving to Norwalk (besides the date) is that Norwalk is a much bigger facility, that will naturally draw a larger crowd (and it will need to too afford it), which is going to hamper the ability to run a "friendly, down home" event, like we had at Thompson. I feel the best thing to do, is work with the track people at Thompson to continue the "Annual Fred Totten Memorial Shootout", and make it the premier 409 get together! It is the perfect setting, a fine facility, with people that care, and now we know what to expect, and what to work to improve for the future. From there, everyone can choose what is their personal choice for other events to support during the year.
Steven

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Steve, I think my post may have been misunderstood. I'm not talking about splitting the group and having the Fred Totten event at Norwalk, I'm just saying that we have an opportunity to get a few of the local 348/409 crew together, jeeze I don't want to shoot myself in the foot! I agree completely with what you said.

Ray,
I think, for the best interest of the "Fred Totten Annual Memorial Shootout", that we commit to just ONE event as a group. That being said, with the information you have posted today, and what others are saying, I believe that Thompson is the rightful home for the event (it is also close to where Fred called Home!). I agree, 409 members can get together anytime, and anyplace they wish, we do it here on the east coast regularly with MANDRA. I think the biggest concern you will find with the racers', as far as moving to Norwalk (besides the date) is that Norwalk is a much bigger facility, that will naturally draw a larger crowd (and it will need to too afford it), which is going to hamper the ability to run a "friendly, down home" event, like we had at Thompson. I feel the best thing to do, is work with the track people at Thompson to continue the "Annual Fred Totten Memorial Shootout", and make it the premier 409 get together! It is the perfect setting, a fine facility, with people that care, and now we know what to expect, and what to work to improve for the future. From there, everyone can choose what is their personal choice for other events to support during the year.
Steven

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My crew will go were I go!, I prefer Thompson and will go with the majority. My primary concern is the event must be "teamed" with another group to provide a crowd and interest in the whole weekend. It sounds like Thompson is going to run it's own gasser event without the magazine/organization:dunno

Kevin Quik9r

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I would like to make my intentions clear. I am 100 % for having the Fred Totten memorial 409 shootout at Thompson Raceway park. This is my dream to have this become a yearly event at Thompson Raceway Park for as long as I can get behind the wheel of my 409 car. I need all the support I can get from the 348/409 people, so far all I have seen is a divided group. I want desperately to have an event that all can enjoy and attend. No one place is going to please everyone. I made the post about Norwalk because I think it would be a great event for everybody that was interested to get together and have a good time, not to take the place of my first pick and dream to have the 409 shootout at Thompson. I guess it is my fault that I just want us all to get together and have a good time. I will from this point on concentrate on getting the Fred Totten 409 shootout as a yearly event at Thompson and let the chips fall where they may!

Regards, Ray
Fathead Racing.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I will from this point on concentrate on getting the Fred Totten 409 shootout as a yearly event at Thompson and let the chips fall where they may!

Regards, Ray
Fathead Racing.

Sounds like a plan Ray!:deal

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I will from this point on concentrate on getting the Fred Totten 409 shootout as a yearly event at Thompson and let the chips fall where they may!

Regards, Ray
Fathead Racing.

Ill be the second to agree with that. I wont be attending either ohio meets, (not because I dont want to). Thompson sounds like the logical choice.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I second that emotion!

OK, OK, that was the Temptations, I know :).

I second Ray's motion to hold the 2010 Annual Fred Totten Memorial at Thompson Drag Raceway. Fred would've come, to be sure!

Whether we have the Annual there in perpetuity, that's another topic. With continued success at Thompson, I can see being there repeatedly, but I'm not ready to commit into the next decade :).

I also echo Steve's comments about secondary meetings of the group. Some already do that, just not under the banner of the "Totten Memorial". There should be one Big One that everyone who can makes the effort to attend, and if others put together some gatherings that's just fine. Heck, if you just get 10 local guys with "Ws" that's pretty cool! But there seem to be about 40-60 folks (and hopefully more each year as we grow and attract attention) who are willing to commit to a single venue, and that should be the Totten Memorial. Ray, Jim, Dick, Jim, Brian and others who have worked so hard in organizing last year's event should be focused on a single set of dates and a single location.

Even those who can't bring their vehicles all the way to Ohio can get on an airplane, fly through Cleveland Hopkins Airport, head a bit East, and have a fun 3 days :). Can't get much better than that. The first Norwalk event, when I first met Fred, that's how I did it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

TomK