Pertronix with 1966 Impala dash tachometer

BOSSMAN

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just a FYI about Pertronix, DO NOT LEAVE THE KEY IN THE RUN POSITION! It will fry the module and they are pricey to replace not to mention leave you stranded in some cases. My father recently got a billet Pertronix distributor for his 327 in his 37 Chevy. He has fried the Module twice, both times key was on less than fives minutes (left key on to let electric fans cool down the engine). The distributor also had bad gear wear, me being a machinist we dug into it pretty deep and found the length not long enough. MSD drop in had beautiful wear for comparison. Big thumbs down for me, look into the reviews online lots of issues like this.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've used the conversion Pertronics with no issues, but probably never left the key on for 5 minutes.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've had to use a "filter" BJ so I'd say you are OK if you do the same. Is your factory in dash tach factory wired to run directly off the coil?

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I've had to use a "filter" BJ so I'd say you are OK if you do the same. Is your factory in dash tach factory wired to run directly off the coil?
...yes factory in dash.......pretty sure it is although I have not checked yet.....:rub.....another thing on the list.........:rolleyes