Pet Hummingbird

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Talking about ground critters, this is no baloney. A guy had gophers tunneling all over the place in his front yard, so he first tried to soak them out with a garden hose left on for a few hours. That didn't work, so he unrolled the hoses from his welding torch out front, opened the acetylene valve, installed a large tip, turned it on full,and after about 20 minutes, shut off the gas and put the torch away.He then got the bright idea to see if he could burn them out, so he lit a ball of paper and threw it in the hole. The resultant blast cracked his driveway, blew a big hole in the middle of the yard, and caused all kinds of commotion. Wonder what it did to the gophers?

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
That's dangerous doing that in your yard. Due to me being safety concious, I blew oxygen and acetylene into a 30 gallon garbage bag, took a rope and hung off a dragline boom. Then using a small battery from behind the crane I set off the electric blasting cap. Very nice ball of fire, concussion, and some noise. Really echoed down the river.:winner:winner

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Talking about ground critters, this is no baloney. A guy had gophers tunneling all over the place in his front yard, so he first tried to soak them out with a garden hose left on for a few hours. That didn't work, so he unrolled the hoses from his welding torch out front, opened the acetylene valve, installed a large tip, turned it on full,and after about 20 minutes, shut off the gas and put the torch away.He then got the bright idea to see if he could burn them out, so he lit a ball of paper and threw it in the hole. The resultant blast cracked his driveway, blew a big hole in the middle of the yard, and caused all kinds of commotion. Wonder what it did to the gophers?
I used to spread some gas on a ant pile ,light a match = roasted ants!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO THIS TO THE MOLES IN MY YARD!!!!!!!!
I even called into a local radio garden show and mentioned I wanted to do this and they went berserk telling me NOT TO DO THIS!!!!!!!

Junky

Well Known Member
Mistake one... Never tell anyone what you are going to do in advance! Never admit that you were the one that did it! Have a good criminal attorney on speed dial on your cell phone.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can they live breathing carbon monoxide , probably not . Hook up your 409 exhaust pipes to hose in the hole ,plug other holes and give them the 409 treatment. You have a diesel truck too ,that might not be potent enough!!!:brow
Dry ice might be cheaper than gas...

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've always wanted to try this:
Rodenator: One of the latest prairie dog and gopher controls to "explode" onto the market is the rodenator. This device not only kills the prairie dogs, but also flattens their tunnels. This helps to prevent injuries to horses and human athletes, and removes the blemishes to the land left by prairie dog colonies. Oxygen is mixed with propane and injected into the prairie dog burrows. Propane is heavier than air, so the mix sinks into the tunnels and dens. It is ignited and produces an expanding force that reportedly travels 5,000 feet per second. The concussion flattens the tunnels and kills 90% of the prairie dogs. The remaining animals can be trapped and removed from the area. Many people view this technique as "the most inhumane technique of all." The benefits, however, are that there is no poisonous residue remaining to threaten the environment or health of humans.

It may be seen as inhumane, but rodents are rodents!

RussC

Well Known Member
I had a friend that solved his gopher problem. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air. Bill simply took the co2 cylinder from his Coke dispenser...attached a hose...ran the hose into the tunnels...and gassed them. No muss...no fuss!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
So how long does the decaying smell last?
I have a serious groundhog problem at my place.
Been trying to take a shot at them but never have a safe clear shot.