Phil-Alaska Quake

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Pat. Several phone calls and lots of texts, but all 4 are fine. Daughter is a teacher and was at school but fortunately no kids at school when it hit. All 4 family members were in different places which really "wigged" our daughter out!!! Their house is only 3-4 years old so it withstood the earthquake quite well. I would imagine several of the schools might be permanently destroyed.
Sad to see all the roads destroyed. Have ridden over most of them. You don't repair roads in the winter season!!!! Will take a long time to get back to normal.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Hour phone call this morning!!! Several times during the conversation, daughter would let us know she was experiencing an aftershock!!!!
The State jumped right in!!!! You might have seen the picture of the exit ramp on Minnesota Ave. from Airport Freeway where these is a car stranded right in the middle of a big hole. She said that the State had a backhoe in the hole within 2 hours!!!! Ray...they probably need operators up there!!! Good pay!!!!
The family is going out sightseeing today. Don't know how far they can drive.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Just got off the phone with my brother. He and his wife have a two or so year old custom home in Eagle River, about 14 or 15 miles NE of Anchorage. The epicenter was about half way between the two cities. The crazy thing was that he and his wife, daughter, and son in law came down a week ago Thursday for a family wedding on his wife' side, and it happened last Friday. They were stuck down here, since the airport was shut down. They had no idea what to expect, but my brother called a neighbor who could get into their house. It was a mess, but the only structural damage was to dry wall. A good cleaning up was all they really needed, so the drywall guy will be out when he can. He made a mistake of having perimeter shelving in the garage just below the ceiling, and he put leftover cans of house paint on it. Not a good idea. Fortunately,none of it hit the car,just the floor. The non stop aftershocks in the magnitude 4-4.5 range are what is getting old. The great thing is that the roads are back up. Seems like they got out there and got them done in just a few days. Alaska is the center for heavy equipment, skilled operators, and pragmatic no-nonsense operators and others that get stuff done no matter what. It's an interesting place.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
My cousin Julie lives in Anchorage .....much the same as Greg described.... mostly just drywall damage that will have to be repaired.... off the corners of doorframes .....and corners of the room .......things like that........ there was not one thing left on the walls though ........anything that was mounted on the wall was on the floor.........