Philadelphia

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
do we have any members in the philly area, I've found a car there that sure could use a set of eyes on it before I book a flight...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
dick, I'm gonna call on the owner of a car in morgantown I believe it is and if the answers are right, I'd like someone with knowledge on these cars to go look at it before I get serious...if you would be able to check it out please message me...thanks, rob

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Interesting car from the photos. It could be what you want for a Florida driver as not a “show car” if the price reflects what it is
Robert

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
that's exactly what I am looking for robert, i'm wanting a driver that I can play with but still have the bones to make it a 409 4 speed car down the road...dick has been kind enough to offer an inspection on monday which I was quick to accept...I know the car isn't anywhere close to what some of you guys have in your garages but I want to drive this car and not have it sit in a shrine like my L-89 or my '42 34 ton pickup...the called this truck the pearl harbor truck i'm told...they began production in december of '41, when pearl harbor drug us into the war passenger vehicles and trucks were not built as they geared up for war machines...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I may pull the 409 jack is building me and drop in in the 62...all the parts jack is using are dated correct for this car...

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Well, i looked at it also and my conclusion is it would be hard to take it to the current level it is for that money !!! with some tinkering it could be upgraded a lot for a lot less money. Theres nothing like looking at the real thing though so you can be satisfied with what your getting. With these 2 gentlemen looking, i don't think you will find anyone better !!! It sure looks like a pretty good driver.
Ken

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
that's all I want out of it is a driver guys...I've done the show car circuit and wont 49 consecutive first place awards including every super chevy in the state, every world of wheels, and best paint and show at most...doug marion editor of super chevy at the time, went on record of saying I had the nicest chevelle he's ever seen as he awarded me with top 10 chevys in the nation while TNN filmed it all at gainesville raceway...I don't do shows and don't want to make my garage a shrine...I want a driver to play with...I'm not knocking you guys that do that, I'm just not into that anymore...I can't see for the life of me how I could buy a car and make it what this car seems to be for almost twice the price...

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Sounds like you are like a lot of us, Burned out after 40 years or so of showing cars. Classic chevy and late great chevy got out of hand in my opinion, and set the bar too high for a lot of people that either could not or did not want to spend a hundred grand on a show car and in a lot of cases even more than that.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is what I sent to 59K9 on the black 62 a few days ago.

First impression through all the pictures...Nice 62..-best one you have looked at for quality.
  • The trim on the car is really great. I like all the very close pictures
  • SS trunk panel is very nice -has NOS factory yellow seals around the impala tailights -those seals are optional -I don't have them on my cars -not sure if they had them on impalas but who ever put them on was very detailed about small items
  • patches in the trunk (that can be fixed) for rear body mount
  • Partial floor pan replacement (back seat well )
  • SS console missing the chrome inside lid
  • dash and steering column is gloss -supposed to be flat paint
  • interior assembly is (all new ) is really nice.
  • gauges knobs very nice..
  • FM receiver under dash
  • has new correct firewall pad
  • carpet is correct new tuxedo with black specs in green
  • correct original rear antennas -drivers side has correct brace to the trunk wheel well
  • two tone steering wheel (supposed to be two tone) colors might be a little off (the light green)
  • very nice bucket seat chrome -looks rechromed
  • mint back seat chrome speaker cover
  • Horn ring is very nice original or NOS emblem is new or mint
  • the SS grab bar and SS console are painted with gloss paint -to shiny -vinyl paint is flat not gloss -but they look very nice condition.
  • engine looks correct for 327 and PS and PB
  • That air cleaner is like a 400 HP 409 air cleaner -its worth maybe $ 300
  • has two speed wipers washers and the glass bottle for washer in winter
  • wiring under hood looks new
  • has 300 HP 327 exhaust manifolds and double hump heads standard on 62 300 HP factory cars.
  • chrome valve covers are 64 or later -chromed is not factory (I have chrome ones on my 62 -327/300 HP -still very nice chrome and quality
  • if it has a 300 HP intake and a 3269 carter AFB then it has all the 300 HP factory motor items
  • correct fan shroud
  • PB unit looks rebuilt - Master cylinder later model replacement but new
  • nice detail and new parts from the way they look under the hood
  • 62 door guard is a factory accessory
  • Dual factory door mirrors and day night interior rear view mirror(both factory accessories)
  • gas tank looks to be a zinc plated best quality tank (vs a painted one.....)
  • brake lines and gas lines on frame look new (no paint on them)
  • ASK FOR COWL TAG PICTURE TO CONFIRM FACTORY SS CAR -it has all the right SS parts on the car
  • ASK FOR THE CODES OF THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE ENGINE BLOCK AND IF THEY CAN USE A MIRROR ON THE ENGINE BLOCK NUMBER ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE BLOCK BY THE FIREWALL (TO HELP WITH VALUE OF MAYBE ORIGINAL 327/300 HP MOTOR TO RESELL)
  • hood lip looks like NOS
  • hood and trunk emblems look new or NOS
  • grill is very nice
  • tinted front and back glass -side glass is tinted
  • radial tires on the ground
  • jack in trunk
  • has original exhaust system brackets instead of welded on brackets...by a muffler shop..
  • new trunk mats
  • correct carpet cut around SS bucket seat brackets (not under the seat brackets)-that is correct -who ever did this car knew what they were doing............................
Paul Stensland

Adding this tonight:
Solid car on the floor pan other than 2 rear floor pans and patches in trunk for rear body mounts -weld seams show -floor pan painted black -originally they were red oxide

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just looked at this car. Not a big fan of green, but I do like this shade of green in the interior. Looks like a very nice car. Best wishes with the inspection and purchase, Carmine.

heddrik

Well Known Member
I owned a green/green SS like this in the 80's , not anywhere near this nice. Condition is fantastic, who cares if it's not numbers matching ,the guy did a great job. Hard to beat for money and quality. Some guy in Fort Worth is asking 15k for a non- SS red impala convertible rust bucket that will cost 50k plus to fix. Good luck on buying this one.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I owned a green/green SS like this in the 80's , not anywhere near this nice. Condition is fantastic, who cares if it's not numbers matching ,the guy did a great job. Hard to beat for money and quality. Some guy in Fort Worth is asking 15k for a non- SS red impala convertible rust bucket that will cost 50k plus to fix. Good luck on buying this one.
Is that on Craigslist or is there a link to that?? Thanks, Carmine.