Phoenix Road Trip

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I made another road trip this weekend. Tony (skim) sold a 59 Impala to a friend in CA, so we loaded it up and brought it out to Phoenix for him.
While we were there, we met up with Cecil who showed us his airplane hanger. His plane is very nice! I've never been close up to a plane of that era and was cool to hear that he had built it from ground up! My hats off to you on that one Cecil! We then went to his house and I was in awe with everything that he has. So many cars that I would love to have! In fact, I told him I would trade my 61 bubbletop for his 58 vette, but he wouldn't do it. :dunno It was great to finally meet with Cecil in person and thank you for showing me all of your stuff! Tony fell in love with the aircraft hydraulic pump and couldn't stop talking about it all night!!!

Saturday night we headed to downtown Phoenix for a cruise and saw some really amazing cars out there. Here's just a taste of what was out there.

DSC04161.jpg

DSC04166.jpg

DSC04167.jpg

DSC04169.jpg

DSC04170.jpg

DSC04176.jpg

Sunday, we headed out to a VW benefit show. Tony is really big into Vintage VW's and is a member of The Original German Folks club. Lots of great vintage VW's out there and they were able to raise over $10,000.00 for the cause!

Of course no road trip is complete without finding STUFF! During our drive out there, we stopped along the way at a salvage yard and I was able to find a complete and running 409 in a 64 boom truck. It had been used in the yard for many years to take motors out of cars, but had been replaced with one that was smaller a few years back. Unfortunately they couldn't get the motor out before we came back home, but they are going to ship it to me! Here is a video of the motor starting for the first time in several years... Filled up the bowls with gas and turned the key!

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian, sorry I missed you guys in Phoenix. The 409 truck must have been outside the 100 mile circle that Cecil controls...can you beleive his collection of parts and toys. Larry