Photos from an older Rocking Chair event

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I received these today from Tommy from an older Rocking Chair event in western maryland. I hope some of you remember the event! Anyway I enjoyed the hospitality even though my car was out of it's "element" at this event and I enjoyed the dinner. Since the event I am very fortunate and honored to have the blue real 61 SS join the red 62 at my stables.
Western MD car event.jpgWestern MD Show2.jpgWesternMD show3.jpg

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I remember this very day. I poured over your car end to end and went away feeling the same way I did when I saw the 61 and 62 Chevy's in the showroom in Erie Pa. I was asked politely to vacate the premises after showing up at least three days a week for two months. A few of the sales people were sympathetic but I was a distraction. Man, back in the day the introduction of the new model year was a really big deal. I can remember cars being delivered under cover to the dealership.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
A bunch of us kids, would go to the movies, on Saturday at our Palace Theater.:appl We would always, stop at Gateway Ford, and sit in their New cars..:cloud This particular day, we all piled in a 1958 Fairlane Convertible. :love Salesmen, knew us, and joked about us, pooling our money, and buying it.:clap It Was, a Beautiful car.:rub

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I graduated from high school in 1962.

Stumbling around for a job I had a friend that called me about one at one of the local Chevy stores.

After working there while going to college it came time for the new cars to come out.

Being a lowly grunt my job was to help put the brown butcher paper on the windows of the dealership. We covered EVERY window!

Next we headed to a coliseum where the all the surrounding Chevy stores would receive the cars. Chevrolet and the dealers had made arrangements for all the dealers to get their cars at the same time.

The transports came after dark and unloaded. Our make ready guys had driven over with their hammers and punches to make the holes for the dealer nameplates and put in the floor mats, hub caps, etc.
Being the grunt, I did a lot of the mats, paper stuff, etc.

We were not allowed by the Chevrolet rep to remove any car until after midnight.

At about the stroke of 12, groups of us would drive the cars to the dealership pulling all of them into the service Dept. All with no license plates, insurance and not much gas!

We parked them everywhere, but all had to be inside.

Next we loaded in a van and went back for more. This went on for hours!!

What was fun, my friends knew where I was and I would sneak them in to see what’s new. It was interesting to see customers following us to the store at 2am!!

Great Times, Great Fun!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7

Stumbling around for a job I had a friend that called me about one at one of the local Chevy stores.

After working there while going to college it came time for the new cars to come out.

Being a lowly grunt my job was to help put the brown butcher paper on the windows of the dealership. We covered EVERY window!

Next we headed to a coliseum where the all the surrounding Chevy stores would receive the cars. Chevrolet and the dealers had made arrangements for all the dealers to get their cars at the same time.

The transports came after dark and unloaded. Our make ready guys had driven over with their hammers and punches to make the holes for the dealer nameplates and put in the floor mats, hub caps, etc.

We were not allowed by the Chevrolet rep to remove any car until after midnight.

At about the stroke of 12, groups of us would drive the cars to the dealership pulling all of them into the service Dept. All with no license plates, insurance and not much gas!

What was fun, my friends knew where I was and I would sneak them in to see what’s new. It was interesting to see customers following us to the store at 2am!!

Great Times, Great Fun!
What a time to be young and alive in the greatest country in the world. In Erie Pa. the place to be for weeks after the new models were released was State Street downtown. Everyone got in on the fun, old and young. Whoever had the good fortune to purchase a brand new car would what we called "Bugging State". All night long brand new cars of all makes would cruise up and down State street sometimes if you were at the right place and the right time you would see a little contest between guys that bought muscle cars. Mustangs, Goats, Chevells , and if you were really lucky a full size 421 three two four speed Catalina! My favorite for 1965. Even the cops got in on the excitement turning their heads the other way when the light turned green. The neon lights and the song Downtown playing in the pool hall in the background. Oh man, I'm there right now.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Missed it all by 10 years but I was still there while reading all your posts. Awesome stories, keep posting.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yeh, you are so right!!

The 1960’s were great!

There is no doubt I ran to anything 4 speed to drive at 1am or so.

We had to race each other as drivers to the other Chevrolet dealerships headed a different direction.

A Turbo Corvair red light racing against a station wagon:):)

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I can remember Kemp Avenue in Watertown in the later 60’s, Ben Franklin, Monkey Wards, Penney’s and our Woolworths had a diner and soda fountain. Would collect bottles to cash in for a malt. Also remember all the sweet cars cruising Kemp and thinking I’ll get me one someday.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15

Great Times, Great Fun!
Frame Chevrolet In Mineola Long Island used to cover the showroom windows with "GLASS WAX " back in the day. You couldn't see the new 57s in the showroom , but all you had to do was go around the back and look through the cyclone fence to the transport trailers making a delivery. Sadly the place is now a Entenmans Bakery outlet. I miss those days :cry:cry
:crazy:cheers