Picked up a Richmond 6-Speed

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I picked up a Richmond 6-speed model # 7021626AA to go behind the 418 stroker in the Bel-Air. I am using the Long HR-6000 shifter. The shifter location looks to be maybe 3/4" further aft of the 5-Speed location. My question is for those that have installed the 5 or 6-speed with the bench seat. How dose this work with the bench seat and, does the hole in the floor pan need to be moved aft? What shift handle works best?:dunno I see Long offers a bench seat handle for 55-57 Chevrolet but, it does not look right to me. :? Anyone have any advise here? Thanks Dan

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
could always adapt!

Slide the seat back and strap some 2x4 blocks to the petals.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wonder if the 700R4 crossmember would work. The mount has to be moved back 3.75" and down 9/16" according to Richmond Gear. Anyone have any measurements on the 700R4 crossmember?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
such as.....

The Richmond Six-Speed is available in 10- or 26-spline input shafts and a 32-spline output shaft. With the Richmond box you can also select overdrive ratios from 0.91:1 to 0.50:1, along with a choice of different First gear ratios. To install a Richmond in place of a powerglide, move the crossmember back 3.25 inches.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

The Richmond Six-Speed is available in 10- or 26-spline input shafts and a 32-spline output shaft. With the Richmond box you can also select overdrive ratios from 0.91:1 to 0.50:1, along with a choice of different First gear ratios. To install a Richmond in place of a powerglide, move the crossmember back 3.25 inches.

Yep, All ready read all of that.... Just wondered if there was anyone that had done this swap on a X frame car and if it was worth the time to modify the 700R4 cross or build a new cross from scratch.:dunno

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dan,
My '61 was a powerglide, I moved the crossmember back 2" for the 700R4

Dave

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Models, Thanks for posting that. Looks like the powerglide is 20-9/16". My Bel-Air has a turboglide. I would think it would be the same 20-9/16" as powerglide. I ordered the RM-6022 Quick Time bellhousing and, it should be here Monday or Tuesday. Once I have that I should be able to figure out what I need to do. Pics courtesy of Aubrey at A Bruneau Performance.

Attachments

• quicktime6022together.jpg
    quicktime6022together.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 14

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dan,
It's pretty hard to explain but I'll see if I can get you a picture tonight. It was pretty simple, but the way I did it you can't go back any more than the 2" that I did.
Dave

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
transcrossmember700r.JPG

Easy to make one of these and fit it to eaither a 700R4 like this one or a Doug Nash / Richmond trans.

First the trans has to be in place and level
Next cut the pipe to fit the origanal crossmember spots and install the bolts and tighten
Install the trans mout and cut a square plate and drill hole to fit the mount and bolt it on
Then bend a coat hanger or some brazing rod to a shape that put the bend behind or in front of the plate, depends on room
Bend some dom or heavy wall pipe and trim to fit, why pipe you ask? because you will have 2 weldable edges at any angle lllll
Once fitted tack it all in place, tack not weld yet chucky!
Make sure you are good then add more tacks remove and weld in segments not one whole side then flip or you'll warp it.
A 110v wire welder can do this just fine..
Tadah! New mount you made all on your own!
I accept light beer donations thru PayPal

Drive line I knew my front half with a Muncie is 24 5/8 so I deducted the additional length of the Doug Nash and adjusted 1/2 for the longer yoke.

With yours I would take the stock length front for a power glide and deduct the additional length of the Richmond, richmond has this info with and without bellhousing

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike thanks for the info. I had read your thread on the DN. I just wondered if there was any crosses out there available for this application or that might be easily modified. I think it would be easy to make one like you describe if I have to. Just have to find someone with a tubing bender. What size tubing did you use and what is dom? Actually the Richmond 5 & 6 are exactly the same length as the t-10 or muncie 4-speeds 21-9/16" so, the only thing that needs to be addressed is the turbo 400 3" long yoke. According to Richmond the drive line does not have to be shortened.

http://www.richmondgear.com/07pdfs/RG21.pdf

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I dug for days, I am cheap and my beer is imported, and they all ran in the 150.00 range for 700 r types which are close but will still need work. So I did what I always do - reverse engineer what they are selling while sippin a cold one.
1" is fine with a .100 wall, DOM has no seems so it's stronger. Some 1x1 square tubing would work as well just might need to gusset it some in the corners. I thought they where longer..

Mike thanks for the info. I had read your thread on the DN. I just wondered if there was any crosses out there available for this application or that might be easily modified. I think it would be easy to make one like you describe if I have to. Just have to find someone with a tubing bender. What size tubing did you use and what is dom? Actually the Richmond 5 & 6 are exactly the same length as the t-10 or muncie 4-speeds 21-9/16" so, the only thing that needs to be addressed is the turbo 400 3" long yoke. According to Richmond the drive line does not have to be shortened.

http://www.richmondgear.com/07pdfs/RG21.pdf

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I dug for days, I am cheap and my beer is imported, and they all ran in the 150.00 range for 700 r types which are close but will still need work. So I did what I always do - reverse engineer what they are selling while sippin a cold one.
1" is fine with a .100 wall, DOM has no seems so it's stronger. Some 1x1 square tubing would work as well just might need to gusset it some in the corners. I thought they where longer..

I took the tailshaft housing down to a fab shop this morning as I heard they had a mandrel tubing bender. They can bend me up a pieces of 1-1/4 pipe and make the pad as well. I wanted the pad to be braked at a 45* to add strength. I am going to put the pad in front for clearance. They said it would just take a minute to do and would be 35-40 bucks and that includes material (basically scrap he said). I can take it from there. Heck of a lot better then trying to modify a 700r cross.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Cool deal man!! I sat and stared at a 700R cross member through a few beers and nothing came accross as easy to make it fit.
Get some pics and other tid bits incase one of us changes over to one as well please.