Picked up another 62'

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Picked up this 62' Bel Air Sport Coupe today. Will bring it home next week. It is a complete car and a good fixer don't you think.....:? I will be parting it out so if anyone needs anything please let me know....:deal
Passenger Side.jpg Passenger Rear.jpg Drivers Rear.jpg Dash.jpg

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I need a steering wheel. That looks worse than anything around here, which is hard to believe. The doors and trunk lid look like they are rotting from within.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don, The car is literally rotten to the point it will almost fall apart. I will get some better pictures once I get it home. The good part is all the moldings both inside and out are all in very nice shape and the car is complete. The steering wheel will be available. PM me if you are interested.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The bad thing is if you stopped by there 20 years ago they wouldn't have sold because they were going to fix it up one day.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The bad thing is if you stopped by there 20 years ago they wouldn't have sold because they were going to fix it up one day.

Brian, I have known about this car for a long time. He is actually my neighbor and a member in my car club. He has 93 cars on several different properties. He bought the car in 89' and drove it as his hot rod for about five years then parked it were you see it. At that time it was still a nice solid car. You are correct in that he would not sell it or any of his cars because he was going to do something with it some day. Well yesterday was the day.....:crazy. Our club meeting is the first Wednesday of the month and after the meeting he approached me and asked if I wanted the car. I was shocked as was several others in the group. I had asked about it several times but always got the "I'm going to fix it up some day......:crazy"

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian, I have known about this car for a long time. He is actually my neighbor and a member in my car club. He has 93 cars on several different properties. He bought the car in 89' and drove it as his hot rod for about five years then parked it were you see it. At that time it was still a nice solid car. You are correct in that he would not sell it or any of his cars because he was going to do something with it some day. Well yesterday was the day.....:crazy. Our club meeting is the first Wednesday of the month and after the meeting he approached me and asked if I wanted the car. I was shocked as was several others in the group. I had asked about it several times but always got the "I'm going to fix it up some day......:crazy"

It's just a shame that people do this. They don't want anyone to have their stuff until it's past the point of return.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We have a rule at our house, IF I CAN'T DRIVE IT HOME, I CAN'T HAVE IT.:dealLeo

Thats to bad. I have lots of room and I can keep them out of site and I have equipment to move them around. My wife encourages me to drag this stuff home.....:deal Crap I even have the lawn edged around the old wrecks were the driveway ends and lawn starts......:cool:

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
am I imagining it or is the car broken through the B pillar.

what a crying shame.:takethat:takethat:dunno

bobs409

Administrator
That's what cars look like around here too when the are left to die. This is a perfect example of why you shouldn't let a car sit, it rots from the inside out as moisture is constantly coming up from the ground.

That's why I envy those southerners when they post a picture of a car that's been sitting for 20 years and there's not even a rot hole on it! I laugh when they say something like it's shot or a parts car. :roll Their "parts" car is our "dream" car!

Looks like a good tow vehicle, it has the reciever on it already. :roll

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
One step ahead of the corrosion...

I suspect some might say the same thing about the projects I bring home with plans to restore (that they are toooo far gone). My wife and their friends certainly do!

One difference is that I generally dismantle and then strip to bare metal and seal everything off as I begin to evaluate the parts and components. I like to think of it as staying one step ahead of the rust and corrosion!

Often this is so painstaking and time consuming, that I take a detour and start another project. In that sense, I do a little at a time on each project (I currently have maybe 4-5 of those going at one time) and eventually they get done. It just takes years and years.

For example, I've stopped most everything just to get the '62 Belair post painted. Started last year about this time. Might be painted by Halloween, but then there's reassembly. It just takes time, and often other things get in the way. I suspect many of us are in this boat. It takes both time and talent (note I am leaving out $$$) to complete any one project. Sometimes I lack the time, more often the talent, and generally I am out of money several times over the course of any project :).

But that's what hobbies are, right?

BTW, nice score on the Bubbletop, you should find some useful parts for others to share!

Best,
TomK

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dan,

I might be interested in some of the gauges, if the chrome rings around them are good. I need some additional for the dash I'm building.

Bill

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
am I imagining it or is the car broken through the B pillar.

what a crying shame.:takethat:takethat:dunno

Grub, Your eye sight is perfect.....:eek: yes the car is literally broken. I don't think there is one good piece of sheet metal on the entire car but, I believe the frame is good so it should be okay to move.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I suspect some might say the same thing about the projects I bring home with plans to restore (that they are toooo far gone). My wife and their friends certainly do!

One difference is that I generally dismantle and then strip to bare metal and seal everything off as I begin to evaluate the parts and components. I like to think of it as staying one step ahead of the rust and corrosion!

Often this is so painstaking and time consuming, that I take a detour and start another project. In that sense, I do a little at a time on each project (I currently have maybe 4-5 of those going at one time) and eventually they get done. It just takes years and years.

For example, I've stopped most everything just to get the '62 Belair post painted. Started last year about this time. Might be painted by Halloween, but then there's reassembly. It just takes time, and often other things get in the way. I suspect many of us are in this boat. It takes both time and talent (note I am leaving out $$$) to complete any one project. Sometimes I lack the time, more often the talent, and generally I am out of money several times over the course of any project :).

But that's what hobbies are, right?

BTW, nice score on the Bubbletop, you should find some useful parts for others to share!

Best,
TomK

Tom, I know the feeling. In my case I have to pic these wrecks up just because it helps me to fund my projects and in turn helps others in the search for hard to find parts...:deal

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,

I might be interested in some of the gauges, if the chrome rings around them are good. I need some additional for the dash I'm building.

Bill

Bill, I have several extra gauges. You have a PM

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Tom and Dan, I know the feeling all too well. My '57 build has been put on the back burner with my son's '61 because "LIFE" has reared it's ugly head. I also have that darn Italian disease again (FUNZALO":cry
:crazy:cheers

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
I would love to drive that bubbletop into a carshow just as it is. :roll Oh man, people wouldn't know how to act.