Picked up as a parts car, but now thinking rat rod!

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
I did some horse trading to get this 4 door hardtop 63 with AC as parts for 63 Convertible. While I will still remove the AC system for the convertible as it is complete, I'm thinking this could make a cool rat rod to just drive while continuing to work on the convertible. The frame is solid, all the trim is there, the floor looks like a couple patch panels will do the rockers are solid, and the interior is complete. I got a 350 sbc I can put together to go in it, the power glide in the car was recently rebuilt, the only big expense I can see is getting all the brakes working. Probably cheapest in the long run to do a front disc upgrade with dual master cylinder. The car also came with some spare parts like a 64 dash I can put in when I pull out the AC dash. Once I get it moving I can start looking at patching the rest of the rust areas. Drive it till I'm done having fun with it then sell it or part it.

Attachments

• IMG_2069.JPG
    IMG_2069.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2070.JPG
    IMG_2070.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2071.JPG
    IMG_2071.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2075.JPG
    IMG_2075.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 44

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
That looks a lot like the '64 4-door hardtop I picked up 5 years ago. It's even the same Ermine White (mine is half white and half gray primer). Mine was stored for 35 years (1980 - 2015) and has 55k miles. I haven't touched the bodywork he started before he parked it. I just did the brakes, fuel and cooling system repairs and have a blast driving it. Took it from Milwaukee to Davenport, IA for the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2017 and to St. Paul for Back to the 50's last year. It gets more thumbs ups than my much nicer looking '64 SS. It's even more fun to drive than the 4-speed SS because I'm more relaxed and less worried about it. So yeah, drive it and don't be surprised if it becomes your favorite car.

bobs409

Administrator
I cringe seeing old cars parted out in this day & age. YES, PLEASE SAVE IT! :pray

We need to get over our 4 door fears in this hobby. They don't all need to have 2 doors especially being as old as they are now. Maybe in the 70's-80's but I can't see it today being it's a 57 year old car! (sorry, rant over)

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Jeez, we should all be used to 4-doors by now. :dunno Most of the newer junk on the roads, are. :confusedOur Van, is a 5-door.:doh

And cross-over SUV's are nothing more than a station wagon with some version of 4X4 option that can be put under it. Kinda like they tacked the Blazer name onto a station wagon with 4X4, just cause you gave it a truck name doesn't make it a truck.

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Good things about the 4-door hardtop are it looks a lot like a sport coupe when the windows are rolled down. And in '63 - '64 (and I'm sure back at least to '59) they had completely different glass and the lowest roofs of all the different body styles. They were the models used on the covers of the main sales brochures, in '64 at least, and all the owners manuals for the full size Chevys in '63 and '64.