Pics .. 409 Alum Block

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
I've been involved in HAMB threads regarding the 348/409 and skewed or mis-information posted by Brad54. I'm sure he's reading here, too, but it seems to me that he pretty much is fed information by Lamar and takes what Lamar says as gospel. Yes, he does post some good stuff, but other stuff has to be taken with a grain of salt; not so much a big deal for those of us here, but for the HAMB guys that aren't 348/409 guys, it can be a bit misleading.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It's great that we have new products available for the old W's, aluminum heads by Edelbrock, aluminum block by Lamar. But would we have any of these if it were not for Bob Walla who got the aluminum ball rolling:dunno

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
It's great that we have new products available for the old W's, aluminum heads by Edelbrock, aluminum block by Lamar. But would we have any of these if it were not for Bob Walla who got the aluminum ball rolling:dunno

There is more here than meets the eye, It is the Bob wallas and this web site that really got the ball rolling for the 409s. People like the members of this site are the real hero's. Lamar is the best for developing racing tech but strays a bit from the traditional 409 concept and may have lost touch with the grass roots garage built W powered car. At the convention he said they were using 348 heads for door stops! There was a time that I would have loved to have a few of those "door stops" that I needed to complete a build. Not all of us have the deep pockets that it takes to have a high zoot Lamar Walden aluminum block. It takes guys like Bob Walla that has his feet firmly planted on blue collar ground to keep the real 409 spirit going. I wish I had half the knowledge of either of these two guys. Where do we draw the line when an engine that looks like a 409 isn't really a 409?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
isn't a fully dressed and built walden motor using his fuel injection and this block like $40K? I can honestly say that I will NEVER have that kind of money to put into a motor. Ever. :roll I'm lucky if I can get my wife to be ok with buying a $250 flywheel :deal

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Where do we draw the line when an engine that looks like a 409 isn't really a 409?

the finish line.

for an all out drag car that is an X frame, i say anything goes.

for a street strip, stocker, resto or rare valuable, a real 09 is in order.

I would shelf my BBC in a heartbeat for a 509" aluminum Z11. in my white car.

In my red car, 422 block and 690 heads please. thank you.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK,,, I'll say one thing,,,,

It was Rich Rojeski that go the ball rolling on the alum parts thing,,,
and stimmied by Lamar!!!

my tongue hurts!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
my tongue hurts!!

DQ............just think about that big tall gal you met at the bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know......the one who had her legs cutoff by your best friend's picture!!!!!!!:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll That'll make your tongue feel better??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
DQ............just think about that big tall gal you met at the bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know......the one who had her legs cutoff by your best friend's picture!!!!!!!:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll That'll make your tongue feel better??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

Shoot,,, she made my tongue hurt more!!!!

Lickety split !!!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
" Blue Collar Ground ":clap:clap That pretty much sums it up, for most of us, Ray.:)

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
Where this new engine is not a 409 I don't understand why anyone would spend double the money it would take to get the same power out of a conventional engine, be it small or big block? It is not stock, correct, or a true W engine. I just don't get it. But, that's O.K. because I don't have to and to those that do, good for them. It takes all kinds.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just an opinion, and I know an unpopular one, but it is mine. I want the biggest, baddest " 409" possible. The combustion chamber is in the block , not the head. It has the funny looking heads and the funny looking valve covers, thats good enough for me. I want it ,,, can't afford it, but if money was no object, I would like an all aluminum 800 cu in. " 409" ... :pray

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I tend to agree with Ronnie if it takes a W head its a "409". How many of the folks out there are building "stroker" 348s and 409s with non 409 rods? Non stock carbs, intakes headers.

But don't think I can afford one of those aluminum ones either-shoot that could finish another whole project car!

M

monk

Just an opinion, and I know an unpopular one, but it is mine. I want the biggest, baddest " 409" possible. The combustion chamber is in the block , not the head. It has the funny looking heads and the funny looking valve covers, thats good enough for me. I want it ,,, can't afford it, but if money was no object, I would like an all aluminum 800 cu in. " 409" ... :pray

and........it had a song written about it
:D

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

YEAH, and I'll bet you'd paint it orange and not tell anyone it was 800 inches.

ME TOO!

:crazyRay

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
For me, the fun is taking the old tech the way it is, block heads crank, and pitting myself against the racers of the 60s era. I have a true 409 that is running nearly as quick as the drag racers of the day and my car is streetable. Give anyone enough money and they can reinvent the wheel. There nis no doubt in my mind with unlimited cash resources I could run with anyone. What I ended up with may not resemble a W engine internaly but I'm sure I could make the valve covers look the same. But would it feel the same when you went to the strip and kicked some butt on a real stock stroke 09 ? What's the point? I'ts more fun for me to see how fast I can make a real 409 W engine run without cutting up a big block chevy engine to see if I can beat the original. Hell when is someome going to put W valve covers on a Mopar Hemi and call it a 409 ?