Pics .. 409 Alum Block

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I like having the option of using the new blocks. Most of us have street engines and we don't really need 500 plus cubic inches. But if you want to make really big power the new blocks start to look pretty good.
Aftermarket blocks are very common in quarter mile racing. I race with several guys that have Hemi's but none of them have original Mopar blocks or heads. You also won't find a lot of factory Chevy blocks in cars that are running in the nines or quicker. Race engines cost quite a bit to build so as you start pumping up the power a stronger aftermarket block starts to look like like a better idea.
I can also see where a 600 hp aluminum 509 might be great for a hot street car. There's plenty of 502 Chevelles running around so why not have a few 509 Impalas.
I know they won't be for everybody but I think there will be a market for these blocks.

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
BIG w-motors

Tempting, isn't it?
Assuming a 4.600 bore, a 4.00 stroke would give 532 cubic inches.
4.25 stroke would be 565 cubic inches. That's about all the stroke I would try on a race engine with only a 9.600 deck height. Will the deck height be increased to 9.800? 10.200? Then we're talking 632, with a 4.75 stroke. Bob might be able to make Z-11 heads at a fair price. (Not just one or two sets a year to sell to the highest bidder) Hogan manifold required. Should be able to build an engine for $25k to $30k.:crazy

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I persoanlly like to take the old tech and merge it with new tech-new porting ideas, new cam shaft and valve spring technology, oil pan technology, coating, and at some point maybe EFI. Trying to squeeze more hp/ci that the old technology would but still keep the main appearance. Kind of like that 600+hp "348" recently done (nad bought).

And street racing in the 70s my old Impala had a "truck 348" in it after we took the 409 badges off:) So yes that 600+ ci 409 might just be a "409"!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I like having the option of using the new blocks. Most of us have street engines and we don't really need 500 plus cubic inches. But if you want to make really big power the new blocks start to look pretty good.
Aftermarket blocks are very common in quarter mile racing. I race with several guys that have Hemi's but none of them have original Mopar blocks or heads. You also won't find a lot of factory Chevy blocks in cars that are running in the nines or quicker. Race engines cost quite a bit to build so as you start pumping up the power a stronger aftermarket block starts to look like like a better idea.
I can also see where a 600 hp aluminum 509 might be great for a hot street car. There's plenty of 502 Chevelles running around so why not have a few 509 Impalas.
I know they won't be for everybody but I think there will be a market for these blocks.

Just more options to do what you want to do !!!:clap

It would still look like a 409 so why not !!!
As said above,,,, all out race engines use the latest technology to go as fast as posible and the new alum blocks and BIG C.I. will make that posible.
If it looks like a duck,,,,,, quacks like a duck,,,,

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And the beat goes on!

I thought they were just a BBC block with an adapter plate? Couldn't see it on the picture/

Guys,

After reading all the posts in this thread, it is clear that the quest for a true new 409 block, or a hybrid BBC/409, aluminum or cast iron, has moved along over the last several years.

A true 409 aluminum block seems to be the natural progression, even if it comes with the better BBC compatible cams, cranks, timing covers, oil-pans, primary oiling, etc.

But, this is where we are seeing the "fork in the road", between those who still love the originals, the parts chasing, including the "all original fanatics", and those who will take the other road entirely into the new world of W+ (W-pluses) 509, 609 engines.

For me, I was not enticed by the power of an all stock 409/425 horse motor. I liked them, but, the off-the-shelf 427/454/468/BBC power simply was too addictive.

But, then came the day of the W-strokers, and I jumped in to the knees... 446, 476, 482, solid and hydraulic roller motors, M/T x-rams, etc. Using only well-worked 583 heads (7/16 screw-in studs, guide plates, etc), on a roller motor stroker, the resulting POWER put a BIG smile on my face, which is all I need for my functional show-car applications.

Now, I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a new aluminum block, etc., etc., but, my turn at the fork is to stick with what I already have -- original hot-rodding "stuff"! Sure, I like and use many of the new Edelbrock accessories, new headers, but the core "W" engines (I have three of them), are all GM originals.

So, when my 2nd '55' Chevy showcar approaches finishing, you will see the engine bay filled with a true hot-rod "w", stoker, dressed to the nines!

Going back to 1955's entrance of the 265 SBC, and how that design had steadily improved, we really forget the 'break-out" of the genius of engineering that was born then..., to go on to 283, 327, 350... 348, 409, 396, 427, 454, etc.

We sometimes forget that it was the GM engineers who opened this door for us. Sure, they made mistakes, but, when all is said and done, it was GM's money, and their employees, that made for the relentless engineering skills that now provide us with motors that come with 100,000 mile warranties, with POWER and durability that is simply incredible!

Now, those looking even further forward (like me), as we will see with the bowtie iron block 6-head-bolt-LSX, there is a new frontier of incredible power, simplicity, AND uniqueness..., that I am moving towards now.

All in all, no matter what road one takes, this is a great hobby!

Denis

poison ivy

Well Known Member
original is a state of mine

GM spent a lot of money and time developing the orig w motors, i' ve (pun intended) owned 58 chev since new in 58, had nothing but w motors under the hood, orig 58 early design tri power 280 hp., tried with great success the following ; single 4 barr alum intake, various cyl heads,6 strombergs, 6 rochesters,algon fuel inj. various c.i., 348s, 348 truck bored .125, jahns cast pistons still alive after 40 plus years, .030 over 409, .070 over 409 ross forged pistons, tried duntov cams, goivonina , crane, racer brown, all worked fine.. bought a used 409 with engle cam, rebuilt it and dynoed at 434 hp with 2 1/2 stock exhaust. presebtly using 421 c.i. with crane flat tappet,dual factory carbs with 1"spacers and best cast factory exhausts,3" to the rear bumper, makes over 500 hp, no screwed studs, stock rockers, i keep the rpm under 7000, these w motors will run forever if built properly, a garage full of trophies, and a rep of having a fast WOW motor in the Detroit metro area drag strips as well as a racer on Woodward where the likes of Pete Setton raced in years past.. most engine failures are the result of IMPROPER ASSEMBLY. BESIDES IF IT DON'T GO CHROME IT.. A 348 OR A 409 IN ITS STOCK FORM is a pleasure to drive and own. Long live the original parts. 500 hp on the street works fine if you use it properly.. poison ivy

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Passion and Power

:clap A picture speaks a thousand words and this thread picture has surely done that:dunno I have been a round track engine guy for twenty five years where we were told percise rules that quote " keep the cost of racing down" when in fact thier were alot of cost effective ways to do the job. Now that I am building W motors for fun and not just another crate motor powered Hot Rod it is good to see the passion shared on this site. I can not wait for Thompson to meet you guys in person.:clap

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Here are some photos I took of the World/Walden block that Show Cars had on display at this year's Back to the 50s in MN. IIRC, the block was $5k as shown.

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

IMG_1496.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1498.JPG