Pics of my '56 straight axle gasser

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thank you everyone for looking and those kind comments. I really tried to think way ahead when I thought about doing a gasser. I knew I wanted a 2d '56 Chevy wagon, '63 SS buckets and console, '59-'60 Impala steering wheel (to me, the most beautiful steering wheel ever made), '56 yellow vinyl/black cloud seat covers, power windows which I put in, brand new Cragar SS mags (which as a kid I could never afford. I always got someones old, rusted, pitted ones) and the "W" engine. As previously mentioned, I did want a 409 but I bought a 348 instead and worked that up to 434 cubes. I looked at tons of gassers on line and got some basic ideas. I wanted mine different, tastefully done and it had to replicate a gasser you might see in the '60s. Overall, I'm real pleased with the way it turned out considering what shape it was in when it arrived. I just have to fix the steering. You can also see header wrap on my headers. I don't like it but have to use it for now. I bought those headers from Show Cars and I had to modify the driver side header. Because I elected to use the stock steering box, the center tubes would hit and I had to move the engine forward about 2". Thus, the steering nightmare began. My welding is not good. I get the job done but it is not pretty. So, I had to hide the ugliness with the wrap. I'm going to take them back off over the winter and take them apart. Have them rewelded professionally this time and leave the wrap off. I'm going to paint them white. Nothing like seeing white headers hanging down in the wheel well. Well, thats about it for this car. I'd also like to say that someday, I would also like to own a stock, original 1963 Impala SS 409 convertible, 425 hp, 4 speed, maroon and white. Thats my dream car. I know they're out there. They go for a very healthy piece of change so I think I'm going to be a while longer.

Forgot to mention that I took the advice of some members and put oil breathers in both valve covers, with a pcv, and ran a line to the carb. Great idea. Glad I did it. Slight problem, I wanted the breather with the pcv in the rear of the passenger side cover. I measured, layed it out and still cut the hole in the front. Yikeeeeeessss! Now you can understand why I struggle with posting pics!!! You can see everything in the 2 pics of the motor.