Pics of my '56 straight axle gasser

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone, I'm hoping these pics come out. These are of my '56 210 2d wagon that I bought in Montana 4.5 yrs. ago. It was low mileage and had sat since '65. A roof caved in on it and thats when the problems began. I had to find a donor roof with the first 2' being good because thats what I had to replace. Quite a project for a novice. I put in new floor pans and did all the body work and paint myself (had some help from a friend). Painted right in my garage. Turned out pretty good. I always liked the mean/challenging look of the gassers, so I bought a straight axle from Speedway and installed it myself. The interior kit I bought from Ciadella. I tried the seat covers but just couldn't get it. Had them professionally installed along with the headliner. I did the rest myself. The rear seat is original. The front buckets and console are from a '63 Impala SS. Always wanted them since I was a kid. The material and color scheme are original for '56. For the drive train, I wanted something different. Something you might see in this gasser originally. Didn't want a crate motor or a sbc engine. I wanted a 409 but they were too pricey for me. Instead, I chose its smaller brother; a 348. I went to my local machine shop and asked what we could do with this motor. The machinist said to make it a stroker motor. Sounded good to me although at the time I didn't know what he meant exactly; I do now. We bored it .30 over, installed a 454 bb crank and 396 rods. Pistons are forged and special made by Ross. WOW. Were they costly. 9.5:1 compression and the cam is from Isky-a little bit spicey hydraulic-with Edelbrock aluminum heads and intake. Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, MSD spark box. I was told by the machine shop, that with the cost of doing this motor, I could have bought a 454 BBC crate motor and had money left over. Boy, he didn't lie. But, this is what I wanted. The motor runs real good and I'm very happy with it. Should also mention I'm running a 700r4 trans. and a stock 3.70 posi. From previous post, you can see that I'm still struggling with the steering. I haven't done anything more with it yet. Still would like to have a 525 manual steering box. I'm presently having an addition built on my garage which will have a 4 post lift. When thats done, I'll fool with the steering again. Just tired of laying on cardboard. Well, thats about it. I'm sure I forget something. If so, please ask. Thanx for looking, Carmine.
View attachment 20059

View attachment 20060

View attachment 20061
View attachment 20062010.JPG011.JPG013.JPG014.JPG015.JPG016.JPG012.JPG

I see the pics didn't come out as planned. Not sure why. There were at least a total of 12-14 pics. This was complicated for me. Not sure I can do any better. Sorry.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That wagon is bad ass.
Bob needs to increase allowable size for attachments. You have to make pictures too small to get them to upload.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone, I'm hoping these pics come out. These are of my '56 210 2d wagon that I bought in Montana 4.5 yrs. ago. It was low mileage and had sat since '65. A roof caved in on it and thats when the problems began. I had to find a donor roof with the first 2' being good because thats what I had to replace. Quite a project for a novice. I put in new floor pans and did all the body work and paint myself (had some help from a friend). Painted right in my garage. Turned out pretty good. I always liked the mean/challenging look of the gassers, so I bought a straight axle from Speedway and installed it myself. The interior kit I bought from Ciadella. I tried the seat covers but just couldn't get it. Had them professionally installed along with the headliner. I did the rest myself. The rear seat is original. The front buckets and console are from a '63 Impala SS. Always wanted them since I was a kid. The material and color scheme are original for '56. For the drive train, I wanted something different. Something you might see in this gasser originally. Didn't want a crate motor or a sbc engine. I wanted a 409 but they were too pricey for me. Instead, I chose its smaller brother; a 348. I went to my local machine shop and asked what we could do with this motor. The machinist said to make it a stroker motor. Sounded good to me although at the time I didn't know what he meant exactly; I do now. We bored it .30 over, installed a 454 bb crank and 396 rods. Pistons are forged and special made by Ross. WOW. Were they costly. 9.5:1 compression and the cam is from Isky-a little bit spicey hydraulic-with Edelbrock aluminum heads and intake. Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, MSD spark box. I was told by the machine shop, that with the cost of doing this motor, I could have bought a 454 BBC crate motor and had money left over. Boy, he didn't lie. But, this is what I wanted. The motor runs real good and I'm very happy with it. Should also mention I'm running a 700r4 trans. and a stock 3.70 posi. From previous post, you can see that I'm still struggling with the steering. I haven't done anything more with it yet. Still would like to have a 525 manual steering box. I'm presently having an addition built on my garage which will have a 4 post lift. When thats done, I'll fool with the steering again. Just tired of laying on cardboard. Well, thats about it. I'm sure I forget something. If so, please ask. Thanx for looking, Carmine.
View attachment 20059

View attachment 20060

View attachment 20061
View attachment 20062View attachment 20063View attachment 20064View attachment 20065View attachment 20066View attachment 20067View attachment 20068View attachment 20069

I see the pics didn't come out as planned. Not sure why. There were at least a total of 12-14 pics. This was complicated for me. Not sure I can do any better. Sorry.

Well, I'm trying again. Here is the link to my album on Photo Bucket:

http://s1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg541/fearthis5657/

I think this will be better for viewing. Carmine

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:clap:clapLooking good,Carmine ! In 1968/69,we built a 56 2 door wagon for NHRA stock class,only to have the powers that be refactor the engine camshaft to the point that it was no longer competetive :bang . A drivetrain swap,and it was my "street rod ' for years,brings back a lot of memories!:clap:bow
'
'

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Well, I'm trying again. Here is the link to my album on Photo Bucket:

http://s1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg541/fearthis5657/

I think this will be better for viewing. Carmine

OOOkaaay.. Let's drag them over here!

3b5a74d8.jpg

c2ef6c0e.jpg

cde3fed2.jpg

23226481.jpg

d4c346d1.jpg

7987ef6b.jpg

77573f6b.jpg

5d5bc3c0.jpg

d3af4215.jpg

482d3f04.jpg

5533e8d4.jpg

Very Nice Ride Carmine! :clap:clap

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Carmine,
Absolutely fantastic...:clap I love the Impala buckets with the factory interior...:deal Factory 348 valve covers I love it...:browI think you nailed it in every respect...:beer

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Awesome! That car is done right! It seems so many people get it wrong. They take every "gasser" cliche and throw it at something times 10. Your car is just right. Not too much, not too little. You really got the look and feel of how a car would of really been done back in the day. Well done A++++++!