Pics of the '66 almost ready for crusing!

bobs409

Administrator
Hope no one minds me showing off my black beauty again but now that it's almost all back together, it has a more complete look. :D Plus the engine, trunk and interior can now be seen

In these pics, almost everything is back on the car and I will be applying for the insurance and antique plate within days.

Can't wait to cruise her. I can almost feel that Jet smooth ride already. ;)

100_0207.jpg

100_0208.jpg

100_0213.jpg

100_0214.jpg

100_0211.jpg

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Great Job

Bob,Very nice job,were do you find the time,how long did it take you,less than a year :dunno

I like your big photo's also,can you write a thread on how to do this,when you find time :)

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well Bob, now all you need is to put on the shades, :cool: crank-up the oldies, :) and enjoy. :D GREAT JOB...The car is beautiful! :clap

Attachments

• hdr2_route66.gif
    hdr2_route66.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 30

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
WOW!! Nice job!
Looks like a great cruiser.
nice attention to detail.
I like the 66 chevelle caps too!

jammer

Bob ,Your 66 looks really great, nice detail work! Stuff like that gets me motivated. Hope you find time to enjoy it ! Bob

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice!

Nice, nice, very nice!

How'd you do it so quick? I am envious.... :)

Got a shot of her beofre you started?

Best,
TomK

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks guys. :cheers

I bought this car from a fellow forum member (65impala409) last August so I've owned it for about 11 months now. I never, ever thought this project would go so fast but I'm strangely "drawn" to this car for some reason so I've been fully focused the whole time. (had a childhood dream of owning a white 66 w/black interior and I suspect that's what the driving force is)

I've been working diligently ever since I bought it! I spent the winter straightening and polishing all the brightwork and a ton of time on ebay looking for good used parts as well as having my face buried in parts catalogs! :p Everything else was either repaired or replaced with new or good used. Over the winter I also tried my hand at re-upholstering the seats and they turned out great! Here in Pa, it's miserable in the winter so I kept busy doing everything I could get done in my small workshop. (only place I can heat)

I have about $3,500 in the car without my labor so it's probably in the ballpark money wise. (although, it's NOT for sale! :D ) VMR international puts the value at just under $6,000.

Now where are my manners, of course we need some "before" shots! :D I love seeing projects go from rags to riches myself. I find the before/during pics of projects to be more fun to look at than the after shots sometimes.

This car has been off the road for a very long time. It still sport bias ply front tires! I'm guessing that dates it back to the early 80's?? "65impala409" and myself will be going to talk to the guy he bought it off of and I'm hoping to learn more of it's past.

As you can see below, the interior was toast! All I kept was the side panels. :p The car smelled as bad as it looked to. After removing the seat covers, I found a huge wad of padding and more mouse droppings than I care to re-invision! :eek: Even the heater core area was packed with this material.

The car needed quite a bit of new metal welded in. For now, I repaired the quarters but future plans (about 5 years or so) is to replace the quarters, outer wheel houses and trunk drop offs. A new trunk floor will also be installed. Interior floors were very good and only need 1 patch in the driver floor area.

Make no mistake, the pics make it look easy! When I think back to all the grinding and what not to get where I am, it makes me dizzy! ;)

66imp1.jpg

66imp2.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Todd, I've been told these are 67 Chevelle, Camaro and Nova caps. Not 100% sure but I do know that I seem to find these all over the place! I just picked up 3 more at the last car show.

I tossed them on because they are the only dog dish caps I have but like them so much, I may keep them. :p I think they look better than the ones this car would have.

I've been agonizing over what wheel/tire comination to go with and right now, I'm thinking of tracking down some 14X6 wheels, painting them gloss black and keeping these dog dish caps and a new set of whitewalls. (not sure if whitewalls and dog dish caps are acceptable though) :dunno I love the sleeper look of this combination.

Other options were Camaro rally wheels w/raised white letter tires, redline tires on stock black wheels with dog dishes, black wall tires on stock wheels with dog dishes (but I think that would be too much black since the car is black) or the full stock wheel covers.

I need to keep it fairly stock looking so I can be accepted for the antique plate and classic car insurance so mags or aftermarket wheels are not an option.

droptop62 said:
WOW!! Nice job!
Looks like a great cruiser.
nice attention to detail.
I like the 66 chevelle caps too!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, Glad you didnt try to add your labor cost. The car I recently finished took a year and a half. Just sold it. I figure I netted about 14 cents per hour for labor. But that is more than I would have made "bangin out some old 348 valve covers" that I have been working on for 4 days. They will be worth $20-$30 if I sold them. Yea, they are still no better than ok. We sure dont do it for the money. My 2 cents on the wheels. Nothing looks better on a black car than the good old Crager SS wheels. Just an opinion. Go put some miles on the 66

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
bobs409 said:
Todd, I've been told these are 67 Chevelle, Camaro and Nova caps. Not 100% sure but I do know that I seem to find these all over the place! I just picked up 3 more at the last car show.

Bob,
those caps are 66 but are the same caps for 67 too, just painted different for 67.
The ones on your car are 66 though, In fact I thought these were off your chevelle.
I have 14 of those dog dish hubcaps that are NOS and I have a few used ones too.
The 14 NOS caps are saved for my chevelle and future chevelle projects.
I have included pictures of both for you.

Attachments

• 66cap.jpg
    66cap.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 16
  • 67cap.jpg
    67cap.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 15

bobs409

Administrator
Todd, you saved me from asking my next question! I have 2 of the ones with the black circle and the rest are the other ones with black bowties.

I was wondering why they were painted differently and was soon going to ask. :)

Ya learn something new everyday. ;)

I'll have to tuck some away for my Chevelle. I have considered going with dog dish caps for that one someday.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Bob,
I have repainted the 67 caps to look like 66 caps, in fact the picture of the 66 cap was a 67 cap, I did repaint that one to complete a set of 66 caps for a friends chevelle.
I will give you the type of paint and tricks if you want to paint your caps in the future.

65Impala409

Well Known Member
Hi Bob,

It still is such a good feeling seeing a car that you liked so much come together in the right hands... I was certain that this car was going to meet the crusher if I sold it to anyone. The individual that wanted this car before you just kept saying how he was going to change this 66 into a 65 since he hated the tail lights so much... I wouldnt/didnt sell it to that guy knowing he wanted to do that. Even though 65s are my babies. Keep up the great work!!! I love seeing someone take the time to appreciate a great car and see the potential. Thank you BOB!!! For keeping this one alive....

Ned
65Impala409

bobs409

Administrator
What a guy, thanking me. :D It wouldn't have been possible without you Ned. And don't worry, I have a strong bond with this car, it's not going anywhere as long as I'm alive and kicking! :roll

Growing up in the 70's, I used to see the old Impala's everywhere! At that time, the 62-70's were driving around all the time. (don't remember seeing that many 55-61's as I recall-not sure why)

I wanted a 65 or 66 so bad, I was drawn to them back then! Just never found one that I could afford I guess. (I remember a few that I asked about along the way though)

Buying this one 20 years later from you was my childhood dream come true. While it isn't the white SS with a black interior, jacked up with WIDE tires on the back (a 70's thing), Cragar SS wheels and shiney blackwall tires like the one I always dream't of as a kid, it's every bit as good to me! Now that I'm older, the 75 series tires & hub caps are just fine. :roll Besides, nobody jacks the back ends up anymore anyhow. ;)

The first 11 months were alot of fun, I'm betting the next 11 will be even better. :)

Bob