Pics of WW2 aircraft

WARPT

Well Known Member
Mustangs with a tail hook?! I have never heard of or seen such a thing.
Very interesting.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
They thought about flying Mustang off carrier decks but scrapped the idea. The pictures of the planes on the decks piled up were just for transport. Very few ever left the deck because the P51's were better suited to fly longer/heavy missions with large drop tanks. Plus the durable radial engines were great for being stuck over water with a missing cylinder. If the P51 lost a cylinder the whole motor would give soon. From land there was no equal to the P51's once they were up-fitted with the better engines. My grandfather was chief mechanic on an aircraft carrier in the pacific durring WWII. I have his log books, aircraft manuals and his wings. I tried to get him to go flying with me when I became a pilot but he said he had enough flight time and didn't want to go up anymore.

WARPT

Well Known Member
Transporting them via aircraft carrier, I get that completely.
Very true about the Mustangs losing a cylinder.... or even having the radiator or coolant lines shot up they would be toast.
That is very cool that you have your grandfather's articles from WWII. The Greatest Generation! Interesting that he didn't care to go up anymore.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
"Had to ditch to many times." LOL! Those were his words. He meant in the water too. LOL! I tried to explain that my airplanes are over land, slow, quiet, smooth. Best part is no one will shoot at us! My grandma on the other hand was all gun ho. LOL! We left him on the ground.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
"Had to ditch to many times." LOL! Those were his words. He meant in the water too. LOL! I tried to explain that my airplanes are over land, slow, quiet, smooth. Best part is no one will shoot at us! My grandma on the other hand was all gun ho. LOL! We left him on the ground.
What kind of plane were you flying then?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3