Pictures of 64 headlight buckets and screw size for rings

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
My 64 grill parts came in a box . I repainted the big parts there are whjat look liek cad plated cups that go into the adjustors behind the bulbs then the reatined rings. Assembly manual does not show break down how these go and what size are the ring screws?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
here is a NOS 64 Headlite bucket -Zoom in to see the details.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1964-6...252832?hash=item46ad1fcba0:g:oYIAAOSwEIBejJX1

Here is a headlite bucket with the stainless ring installed -should look like yours -they are held on with with fine thread screws threaded into the fine thread holes on the headlite bucket itself.
I think 61 to 64 and maybe more years use the same screws.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-61-62...751009?hash=item3d7f7aac61:g:ZagAAOSwTxhcOQsg

There are long ( about 1 inch long) normally "philips head" fine thread screws that go in the slots and then screw into the plastic threaded supports that are mounted to the black headlite support -you can see these 4 screws mounted to the plastic "snap in plastic supports" in the NOS headlite picture.

Paul

gwagon

Well Known Member
The cad plated bucket is held in place by the 2 adjusting screws and the spring shown on the headlight bracket forming a triangle. Auveco makes the push in adjusting screws. You can look them up on internet but they only sell to distributors. Any body shop that has been around long will have a assortment of them if yours are brittle or stripped.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks Paul and G wagon ! My bucket was in pretty good shape. Some surface rust on the springs and a few of those stands for the screws. They seemed almost a green color. I pulled out the old broken plastic adjustors, then EvapRust and just painted springs and stands black.. The cad plating on the "cups" is decent shape, probably leave them they way they are. The SS or chrome outer rings were not attached and in a box.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
You can buy a kit for headllite buckets with the plastic pieces, long screws -Cars Inc sells them. I have bought them for the plastic mounts (that get broken).
I think I have some of the fine thread mounting screws(or have purchased nearly exact duplicates) for the stainless trim rings. (they are fine thread -any good hardware store with lots off small and large screws would have them.

Here is the 1964 headlite kit from Ecklers
https://www.classicchevy.com/full-s...ucket-hardware-kit-1962-1964-40-141386-1.html
the screws is this kit are for the 4 springs
Paul

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks for the photos guys. The cad plated buckets have R1, R2 and L1, L2 stamped on them. What size screws hold the outer retainer rings on to the "stands"? Probably a sheet metal thread?

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Skip isn't there a stamped steel lamp bucket that has notches for those adjusting screws with a spring for the other side? The SS lamp ring is mounted over the lamp and screws to the lamp bucket by I think two 8-32 SS screws and yes those adjusters I believe are available from Auveco.
Check on there webb site and if you need let me know as Crest Industries is about 2 miles from where I live and they are a Auveco distributor.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
No , what screws into these circled stands?

Does the R1 vs the R2 go in a different location in board vs outboard?

Attachments

• headlight bucket 2.jpg
    headlight bucket 2.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 16

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
R1 and R2 goes on the right or passenger side (L -they will only fit one way for the two locations.
The circled mounts are to screw the outside aluminum headlite trim with short (as compared to interior trim screws) Philips stainless screws.
Look at you outside trim and put it over the mounts to test which side fits were.
If you don't know look at close up pictures of 64's online -post pictures of 64 impalas in search and you will get 100's of cars

Junky

Well Known Member
When you install the headlamp bulb into the cadmium plated "bowl", you will see that there is a locating tab on the bulb itself that has to match up to a depression on the "bowl". Then you attach the outer stainless steel ring with the 2 screws. Next, you will install each headlight into the adjuster screws, and using a needle nose plier, pull the spring toward the stainless steel ring, and insert the end of the spring into the hole that is located on the lower side of the stainless ring. The R is for the right side (passenger side) and the 1 indicates that is the high beam bulb and is placed on the inside (closest to the center of the car). You will note that there is a notch in the "bowl" where the retaining spring goes, so you will need to make sure that you match up the stainless steel bulb retaining ring to the correct bulb "bowl". Please refer to the picture posted below. Note that the bulb locating tab is just to the right of the retaining hole in the stainless steel band. All 4 of the retainers are different, as well as all 4 of the "bowls", and it is important to get them installed correctly, or your headlamps will not be correct when they are installed in the headlamp assembly.

MVC-019L.JPG

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
When you install the headlamp bulb into the cadmium plated "bowl", you will see that there is a locating tab on the bulb itself that has to match up to a depression on the "bowl". Then you attach the outer stainless steel ring with the 2 screws. Next, you will install each headlight into the adjuster screws, and using a needle nose plier, pull the spring toward the stainless steel ring, and insert the end of the spring into the hole that is located on the lower side of the stainless ring. The R is for the right side (passenger side) and the 1 indicates that is the high beam bulb and is placed on the inside (closest to the center of the car). You will note that there is a notch in the "bowl" where the retaining spring goes, so you will need to make sure that you match up the stainless steel bulb retaining ring to the correct bulb "bowl". Please refer to the picture posted below. Note that the bulb locating tab is just to the right of the retaining hole in the stainless steel band. All 4 of the retainers are different, as well as all 4 of the "bowls", and it is important to get them installed correctly, or your headlamps will not be correct when they are installed in the headlamp assembly.

View attachment 85241
great description Junky!