Pictures of Don's 62 Impala. ( Don from Portland, Mi.)

Don Carvill

Well Known Member
That is great news! I have not had a 60's car since the Eighties. Not counting the Corvair. My buddy had a 62 impala with a 4 speed that was a little crusty, but we sure had fun riding around in it. The only 4 speed car I had was the Corvair. There is no comparison between the two.
I will be spending the money on body, paint, and trim. It was originally very light blue, and I will go with that color. I can see a turbo 350, with a small block in the future.

bobs409

Administrator
We need to investigate this transmission thing further! Maybe it's related to the cars build date?? Mine was built in May, at the Baltimore, MD plant.

Don Carvill

Well Known Member
I took a picture of the tag on the cowl. The only code I understand is the exterior paint color.
The rest is greek to me.

Attachments

• P5090021.JPG
    P5090021.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 28

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
In post #24 you put a picture of your VIN. Bob has a VIN decoder here: http://www.348-409.com/vindecode.html
Your VIN, 21847A205231 decodes Like this: 2 = 1962, 1847 = Impala 8 cylinder 2 door sport coupe, A = built in Atlanta, GA. The last six digits are the sequential portion of the VIN.
Cowl tag
Under the word "Chevrolet" you see what appears to be 0CD. This is the body assembly date. I think (help me here people) 0C is March and D is April. I may have that backwards. The Trim code I can't make out but that's the interior color and style. It appears to be 853 which would be Aqua Bench seat. Decode here: http://www.348-409.com/trimindex.html
Accessory codes were sometimes different at different assembly plants. Your Accessory codes in the picture above appear to be C and X1. What they describe is beyond me. Maybe someone else knows what the Atlanta codes mean.

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Aluminum PG came oiut in 62 and was used in 300 HP 327 pass cars, Corvettes and Chey II's. The Chevy II trans can be identified by the big holes in the case for air cooling.

Don Carvill

Well Known Member
I will go original. The code is 917
The car was repainted in a darker color than original. They also painted the dash with the darker color.
I don't really dislike the darker color, but I am willing to remove the gauges etc.. to go original.
It looks like the time line may be moved forward to the Spring! I may be driving it by Summer!

Don Carvill

Well Known Member
Thank you Dick for breaking down the cowl tag for me. I like the fact that this was originally a V8 car, but I guess it really wouldn't matter since it will be one now.
It has a badge on the trunk that is from a dealer in Memphis. I found a receipt from Napa, dated 2011.
I think the car came up from the South some time around then. I know it sat in a dry garage for at least 2 years. The guy I bought it from drove it for a Year then started to strip it for paint and body work. He replaced the drivers side rear quarter at that time. He also replaced the floor pan on the passenger front. It still has pin holes and a few bigger holes in the drivers side floor. I will talk to the body shop about that.
When I got the car the front fenders, doors, and seats, door panels, and all of the trim and badges were on a shelf,
It made it easy to see what was there and what shape it was in. I think it is pretty solid.
I did not know if I was willing to take on a car that needed paint and body work because I do not have experience or tools and facilities for a professional looking job.
I am more experienced with brakes, suspension, and runability issues. I have owned about a dozen 60's and 70's cars and they usually did not need a lot of body work.
I am excited to be able to afford to get such a great body style that will be a finished project. Until I decide to upgrade to a bigger better drive train.