Pie crust cheater slicks

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
Hey guys, I am thinking about running some 28" x 9" pie crust cheaters on the Biscayne. I know there are several companies recapping these on radial casings, my question is, how will these do on the street? I'm kinda leaning towards the Hurst Racing tires. What do ya think?

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have the Hursts. They run perfect on the street and I have bias ply in front. Being re-caps I don't know if I would make many hard passes with them.

esfireman32

Well Known Member
I just recently put the Firestone Nostalgic Drag Slicks on my Biscayne, they aren't recaps. I seriously considered the Hurst. I also put the Firestone bias-ply in the front.

cac646

Well Known Member
I run Radir slicks on my hot rod. It's mainly a town car but has seen some highway use and I have no complaints. I did have to get them grooved after a run in with the local police though.

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
I just recently put the Firestone Nostalgic Drag Slicks on my Biscayne, they aren't recaps. I seriously considered the Hurst. I also put the Firestone bias-ply in the front.

What size are they? Are those the 30" tall tires?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Some guys on the HAMB complain about the tires not balancing out well :dunno I sure like the way they look. MileHiSS (Dave) on the forums here had the small pie crusts on his 62 Biscayne that he recently sold. They looked awesome on the car. Not sure what he thought of them however. .maybe he will chime in

I'm curious to see what you end up with and how you like them. I personally would get the Hursts. I think they look awesome, the price is right, the come in a bunch of different sizes and would look great on your car! :cheers

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I also have the Hurst with bias ply 800x14 on the front. Work and look fine:deal

Attachments

• 333 heads 021.jpg
    333 heads 021.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 85

esfireman32

Well Known Member
What size are they? Are those the 30" tall tires?

The rear are 10.00-15. They are the 30" tall tire. The front are 710-15 also Firestone. One of the rear tires has been troublesome to balance due to its size and the fact that they are bias-ply. They look great though.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The 62' has Hurst Pie Crust Cheater Slicks (7.0 inch wide X 28.0 tall on 14.0 x 6.0 inch rim). Reproduction BF Goodrich bias-ply on front. The car handles as good as can be expected in consideration of stock suspension etc. It obviously handles better with radials. Some other combinations out there that suit overall function, appeal and drag-strip worthiness, but everyone has their own preference. I'd like to find a bit wider and taller tire without alot of fluffy sidewall markings, but I'm happy with these.

This year I will decide to install 4:56 or 3:55 gears.

I tried attaching various pics but didn't load like I'd hoped so here's an old link to a photobucket site created awhile back. Some similar pics attached from an older post that some newer members may not have seen.

http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww20/RCE1962/#

Ron

John Reinke

I was running the Hurst Cheater Slicks with their really cool vintage look until one slipped a belt and got deformed. I've found new cheater slicks made by Coker Tire and Diamond Back that aren't retreads. Makes me real nervous to think a retread could come apart on the rat and send me into a ditch or on-coming traffic. A lot different than my late model rides with air bags, soft interior, crumple zones, collapsing steering wheel, electronic stability, etc. I could keep my speed down... No I couldn't!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
IMG_6144.jpg

RCS 62, hope you don't mind, I used the "Direct Link" in your album- very nice car BTW. Don

IMG_6125.jpg

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I had the Hurst slicks to Thay looked good I just could not ever get them to hook Good