Pioneer days failure

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
We tried to drive the 63 to Mountain View this morning for the Pioneer days car show and failed miserably. We made it to Birch Tree, 8 miles, and started blowing steam. We pulled into the Dollar General parking lot and found half of the water pump gasket hanging out of where it should be. Deb went home and got the trailer and we made it back without breaking anything else. I can't get a set of gaskets until Tuesday, so I thought I'd put on the new master cylinder and power brake booster. The old master was leaking and ruined the paint on the firewall.
I got it all to fit but now don't have any pedal, guess I'll have to bleed them. I did bench bleed the master and put the slug between the booster and master to make the stroke long enough (I hope). Deb took off shopping with Katy so I'm left to drink beer and pour my heart out to you guys.
I took pictures but I don't know how to download them off my phone.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Was Deb following you in another vehicle or did she really walk back to get truck and trailer?????:confused:confused

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I got the new water pump gaskets Tuesday and put everything back together. Tonight I started filling it back up with anti-freeze and noticed the fan was wobbling when it was running. I shut it off and sure enough, the fan is rocking back and forth. I guess the problem started with the bearings going out of the water pump, that would explain the vibration I couldn't find. It's also probably what knocked out the gasket and made the big leak.
Anyway, I got O'Reilly's in West Plains to order me one, they'll have it tomorrow. I can still get it put back together Friday and get it to the Jasper sponsored car show at Willow Springs Saturday. Not really feeling the trust, so I'll probably trailer it to work and drive it over to the show from there. Deb is going to drive the Chevelle, so we can show 2 cars.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
More than likely,the fan clutch is what caused the water pump to fail in the first place.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Help me out here, Don. The fan clutch seems fine, the bearing in the water pump has some play. I could understand it if the fan clutch was loose or didn't have the viscous feel.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
When the engine is running,see the fan is turning smoothly,with no wobble,and no viberation.If it appears to be several years old,replace it anyway.