PMGR Starter help needed

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I installed a pmgr starter in my 62. Trunk mounted battery with a trunk mount solenoid. Diode on the S terminal at starter only (prevents run on from collapsing field) I got it cranked up once with the diode, shut down would not crank. Checked terminal at rear solenoid in start; had power, checked starter solenoid, no power to s terminal but power at the main lug on the starter solenoid.

The extra relay in the trunk allows me to pull dc power for everything (fused of course) from the trunk, allowing the primary cable powering the starter only to have voltage during starter engagement; otherwise it remains cold. There has to be a better way to do this using relays instead of the external solenoid and a diode. Somebody got a better solution and schematics? I am all ears.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes on the starter.I f you can find one,there's a ''factory made" one that was used on a lot of the 68 and up 429 Ford engines.Many of them used a GM starter and the Ford fender mounted relay[solonoid].

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've only had the "run on" problem once and it was due to the MSD 6 box, I believe. Not sure if "run on" is correct term, it would not shut off with key off. Here's whats hard to understand. The MSD was not a new installation, it had been working fine for years. All I did was change the source for the voltage gauge. The previous owner had it wired to a hot full time fuse, I changed it to hot only when running. Then the problem started, turn key off and engine keeps running, did the test and installed the diode in the correct wire and now it would turn off by the key. I had even put the volt meter back in the original position and it still did same thing. Puzzling.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I put the diode in my alternator harness on one of my Novas, which had a 3 wire alternator. None of my 1 wire cars have the issue and all use Ford style solenoids and a jumper at the starter.

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Two different things here, running on a little after shut down or not turning off when key is off? Which are we discussing, two entirely different things.
We are talking about Stater motor "run on" with a PMGR starter motor; not engine run on. Starter is staying engaged after key switch comes out of start position.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I didn't get this from the original post, sorry. I DID have that problem once, and it was (I think) due to an offshore "Ford" solenoid. So I look for OEM types or blue Standard ones which don't seem to have the problem, and I made triple sure that the gear mesh was smooth.

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yes on the starter.I f you can find one,there's a ''factory made" one that was used on a lot of the 68 and up 429 Ford engines.Many of them used a GM starter and the Ford fender mounted relay[solonoid].
Got it figured out thanks to you buddy. Ran it over to my parents house; just got back. They live only a couple minutes away. Dad bought one new in 62; Impala, 2dr HT, Robin's Egg Blue, 327 300, three on the tree with pull overdrive. First thing he did was put a 4:11 rear in it and glasspacks!

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Glasspacks were the thing to have!!!!! My 400HP had the most bitchin' back rap in 3rd gear with those long tailpipes!!!!!
Music to my ears still today!!!!!
Dad talks about a "reverb box" to enhance the sound on am stations. He helped me restore my first 62 SS in 1982 when I was a 15 year old kid. 327 car. You guys had all the great music!