Pole Barn

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So I’m building a new shop 30x30 with a 6” concrete floor. What do you guys think of this for a base for concrete? The reason I ask is I’ve only ever used gray chip stone never this stuff? Plus concrete he’s cutting the expansion joints after any thoughts on that?

Attachments

• 312BBEF8-25A6-41FC-B2D4-56049FCD272A.jpeg
    312BBEF8-25A6-41FC-B2D4-56049FCD272A.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 35

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Gravel shot.

Attachments

• 05E5608C-49DF-45C9-80EF-3E36104B2CB6.jpeg
    05E5608C-49DF-45C9-80EF-3E36104B2CB6.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 23

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
6" of concrete, at least 3500 pi, should be good. Use lots of wire / rebar reinforcement. My brother used some type of "keyed" pad divider between the slabs on floors he pours. Provides an expansion joint and locks the slabs together.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
6" of concrete, at least 3500 pi, should be good. Use lots of wire / rebar reinforcement. My brother used some type of "keyed" pad divider between the slabs on floors he pours. Provides an expansion joint and locks the slabs together.
Yeah there using 5000 psi With a fiberglass mesh which I like better then rebar which I think either, or is just as good. The joints are what has me wondering?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The stuff my brother uses is a heavy sheet metal used between each slab, it's used as the form and has a joggle, for lack of a better word, that keeps each slab from shifting. I don't know anything about the fiberglass, but I would want some wire to make sure there s no separating as the floor cracks( they always do). I also used a couple rolls of plastic sheeting under the concrete for a moisture barrier.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yeah there using 5000 psi With a fiberglass mesh which I like better then rebar which I think either, or is just as good. The joints are what has me wondering?
On my shop concrete guy talked me into a healthy dose of fiberglass along with rebar said it would almost eliminate cracks, 10 years later only one small crack barely noticeable :clap

montemike79

Well Known Member
I have a 30x32 with 6" floor 4000psi. Wire at the bottom with the pex, fiberglass in the mix. Pea gravel base underneath, and plastic and 2" foam insulation under the floor. I saw cut it 3/4" deep, as to not hit the pex, probably didn't have to but I did. Not one single crack, and always dry as a bone. Has been there 6 yrs now.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I use 1" clean over a vapor barrier. Cut the joints the next day while it's still green.

For the mancave I used 4' by 8' sheet insulation as I had radiant heat tied to the rebar.

For the suspended concrete floor we poured, I used 3/4" rebar, that stuff is real heavy! That suspended floor was 11" thick, quite the load :).

TomK