Posi Chatter on light turn

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm getting a little Chatter from my Posi unit.I tried doing the figure 8's on a parking lot to get the fluid to go up into the posi unit,no help.Rear has been completely rebuilt,has been fine for about 3 years.Just recently the posi unit has started to chatter on pulling out from a parking spot when I have to turn.I checked the fluid level,its fine.I guess the main question I have is what type of Posi fluid are you all using? How much Posi Fluid are you putting in ? Are you using regular gear lube with the posi fluid.?When I 1st had the rear rebuilt,I had the same problem,(I was using synthetic gear oil in the housing with Posi Fluid),I changed to regular gear lube with GM Posi fluid and problem stopped.Do you ever have to ad posi fluid to rear after a few years.There is no leakage at the rear of car,everything is clean,no sign of dripping or leaks.I've had this car since 1964,I never had problems years ago with any kind of chatter in the posi unit.Probably had over 12 different rears in the car over the years.Any help is appreciated. ****NOTE*** I had the same problem in my rear steer on my 2005 GMC Yukon.Rear end was changed out under warranty,when I got the truck back chatter was occuring.They changed to a different type of gear oil and fluid and everything was back to normal. John

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
John, The easiest to try is new lube. Otherwise pull it out and check springs in posi, or maybe clutches if springs look ok. I'm no expert on this I had a heck of a time getting the friction discs broke loose on my 66 before it operated smooth.:dunno

Ray

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray,everthing in the rear is brand new.When the rear was rebuilt,I purchased all new parts including posi unit.Unit has worked fine for 3 years,with absolutely no abusive use,over 3800 miles since rebuilt.Thanks for the imput. John

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
John
I would add a bottle of the GM posi additive. I am sure it will cure it. Part No. GM 1052358. I have had mine act the same way.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ron,GM additive was used and has been in the rear for 3 years.I was wondering if I should ad a second container.***Note*** No noises coming from the rear at all,onl;y on 1st pull out of a parking space.The rest of the time driving the car no chattyer at all.Thanks for the input Ron. John

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
John: My Posi does the same thing, on my 64. :doh With the exception of the posi unit, everything else is new, last summer.:clap Mine chatters when I'm making a turn. Left or right. Not a lot, but noticeable. I'm using Richmond gear lube, which supposedly, is OK for the clutches.:dunno I'm hoping it goes away after the clutches break in.:dunno I noticed when I was comparing the new clutch pack, to the used one, a couple of the clutches were thicker.:dunno

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
John and Skip, I would not hessitate to add some more GM Posi Lube.
Thats really all it sound like you need,,,