POSITRACTION DASH PLATE FOR '61'S

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have any of you guys seen a 1961 Impala,Bel air,Biscayne, Nomad, Parkwood, Kingswood with a factory dash mounted positraction plate? Reason I'm asking my friend has a black '61 Impala (non SS) he bought in fall of '61 with factory 4-speed, 348 250 HP. It has the positraction plate on the dash right beneath the cross flags and I saw a '61 Bel Air sedan with this plate back in 1989 in a bone yard and tried to get it off though it was riveted on. I was told it was 1958 only though my friend swears it was on there when he bought it new and looks factory installed like the Bel Air I saw years ago. Thanks.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I've only seen them on 58's. I've owned a lot of 61's over the years, never seen one

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The only original GM plate I've ever seen is one off a 58, here's a pic of one locally. Not a very good pic, its on the glove box door and is a rectangle with rounded corners.

411296690.jpg

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Raj,
I remember that very same Positraction emblem! I think I have a picture of it somewhere. What a neat car and a very interesting owner, too.
Ross

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
About time you finally got back here Ross! LOL! Remember Jean's black on red '61 Impala 4-speed 348 car? He bought that car in November 1961 and it had the positraction plate right under the cross flags in the dash. I told him the dealer probably installed it though he said it was on there when the car was delivered (believe me I heard that before I told him). He and some friends saw the car in the showroom when it first came to the dealership. Initially Jean went to the dealer in January of 1961 to only price a '61 Impala 4-speed 348 car and the salesman ordered without Jean knowing and the mean time Jean bought a blue'59 Bel air 348 tri power/315 HP car with a 3-speed stick which he was hit and totaled by a gravel truck that fall of '61 (he almost got killed). It took a few months for the '61 car to arrive at the dealer and a employee drove it until Jean bought it after his '59 was totaled in November '61. I was a skeptic until I saw that rusty '61 Bel air sedan at a bone yard 300 miles away from Seattle when I was in college years ago with the same positraction plate which I tried to take off though was so badly pitted and riveted on I couldn't break loose. I'm just scratching my head now at this point.