Positraction question

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I thought I understood Positraction. I have two old Chevys with positraction, a square body Suburban and a 63 Impala. The square body Posi works as expected.

The Impala will not roll when in neutral.

It is on jack stands now, with the driveshaft disconnected, and the real wheels are locked in place, will not turn. It feels like they are mechanically locked, as opposed to a friction lock (from brakes). When I last drove it, it seemed to move fine, and the rear wheels were not locked, but I noticed that it would not roll when in N, with the engine off.

No unusal noises. I have not inspected the fluid yet.

So, is there something in the positraction unit that would cause the rear wheels to lock as described, yet allow the car to easily move under engine power? Some quirk, or characteristic, or a known problem about to happen? No additive in fluid, wrong fluid, ?..

Before I put the transmisson back in it (the reason it is on jack stands) and connect the driveshaft and hope for the best, should I bite the bullet and yank out the differential and see what there is?

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Chip

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I do not know the history other than it did sit in a garage in Santa Barbara for 22 years, and that “California Car” did not mean it didn’t rust away all that time.

So, I will pull off the drums, which has to be done to get to the axles, etc I hadn’t given enough thought to it being a brake proiblem, maybe because that might be too simple...and the solid mechanical feel in the system

thanks everyone

Chip

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I do not know the history other than it did sit in a garage in Santa Barbara for 22 years, and that “California Car” did not mean it didn’t rust away all that time.

So, I will pull off the drums, which has to be done to get to the axles, etc I hadn’t given enough thought to it being a brake proiblem, maybe because that might be too simple...and the solid mechanical feel in the system

thanks everyone

Chip

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I’d jack it up and check drums. The badly leaking wheel cylinder didn’t cause the shoes to expand and bind but how the car is used at shows appears to have caused the brake adjuster to go on steroids and drastically over adjust
Robert

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just a follow up to share that it was the rear passenger side brake drum that was sticking to the brake shoes. once I got the drum off, I inspected and cleaned it all and the wheels spin once again. I didn’t find anything amiss in the process, so it must have fixed itself while I was cleaning it all......

Thanks again everyone. Sure glad I started with the brakes instead of the differential.

Chip