possibly buying 409 with cracked block

Pudde

i have a chance to buy a more or less complete 409 thats unassembled but complete. heres the specs-BLOCK 3830814, HEADS 3819333, INTAKE 3830831, EXHAUST 3732793 & 3732794 ALSO 11-1 PISTONS&RODS, WATERPUMP, ROCHESTER CARB, CRANK, CAM, FLYWHEEL, TIMING COVER, HARMONIC BALLANCER, LIFTERS, PUSH RODS, 409 PAN ETC. CONDITION BLOCK CRACKED, HEADS ARE VIRGIN AND MAGNAFLUX AND CRACK CHECK GOOD, ALL OTHER PARTS LOOK GOOD-(love cut n paste :) )

heres my concerns...guy said block is cracked on the sides. even though it was cracked,it still ran.is this a semi easy fix?..or basically cant fix the area?..i looked up the numbers..i see the heads are truck ones,which im not concerned about.just the block kinda makes me leary.thx for any and all input...paul

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
easy fix

Water jacket crack in the area you described is easy repair for a qualified shop. If the price is right I would get it. Complete assembly $700-$1200?

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I too would take the deal (depending on price). There are a few people on this site with blocks that have been welded on the sides and have not had any problems. I wouldn't pay more then $1000 for it but I'm pretty cheap. Maybe you can use the fact that it's cracked as negotiating power to lower the price. :deal

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Pudde, Where are you located? Wherethe heck is Westfir?:dunno

sounds like a good find !!:D ,,dq

chevykid

Pudde said:
i have a chance to buy a more or less complete 409 thats unassembled but complete. heres the specs-BLOCK 3830814, HEADS 3819333, INTAKE 3830831, EXHAUST 3732793 & 3732794 ALSO 11-1 PISTONS&RODS, WATERPUMP, ROCHESTER CARB, CRANK, CAM, FLYWHEEL, TIMING COVER, HARMONIC BALLANCER, LIFTERS, PUSH RODS, 409 PAN ETC. CONDITION BLOCK CRACKED, HEADS ARE VIRGIN AND MAGNAFLUX AND CRACK CHECK GOOD, ALL OTHER PARTS LOOK GOOD-(love cut n paste :) )

heres my concerns...guy said block is cracked on the sides. even though it was cracked,it still ran.is this a semi easy fix?..or basically cant fix the area?..i looked up the numbers..i see the heads are truck ones,which im not concerned about.just the block kinda makes me leary.thx for any and all input...paul
Pudde,

I have restored many cars. Every now and then I run into a bad block, exhaust manifold, etc... Years ago I would just go to a weld shop and have them fix it. Most block repairs went as follow's- they bake the block to 600 degrees hold it there, weld it up with nickel rod and then let cool down controlling heat for about 8 hours. They would charge it out straight time at the hourly rate. It has always worked for me, but I found in the last few years they basically set the charges based on what the part is worth if you had to buy another one. So if you show up with a 942 or 351 casting 427 Vette block they will hit you for big dollars.

About a year ago I found a guy on the web who said he had been welding cast successfully with a flux wire welder. So I turned off the gas on my mig welder and loaded it with .035 flux wire and experimented. I have done everything from exhaust and intake manifolds to engine blocks. It really works. Just takes time and I only weld about 3/8 of an inch at a time. My last project was a cracked 392 Hemi. I welded about 6 inches on the right side of the block and it came out perfect.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Pudde,
I'm going through that experience right now. I bought an 814 block that was cracked on the sides and a short crack in the lifter valley. Fortunately we have a good shop in Phoenix that does expert cast iron welding. Actualllly for cracks like that he furnace brazes it. My repair cost $385 but it is a nice job and will not show after painting. While I was at the shop he showed me a 426 Hemi he was fixing for a well-heeled restorer which had huge chunks missing out of the bottom of the block. I saw it again after he finished and it was amazing. The main problem with a welded block is the extra rebuilding expense. You will have to have it align honed and decked because of probable warping due to heat. After that it is normal rebuild expenses. I think it is a good buy. If you add up the market value of all the parts besides the block, you are getting the block for free.:deal

Here are some before pics of my block. I don't have any after pics yet since it is still in the shop.

Attachments

• 63409block3.jpg
    63409block3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 634094.jpg
    634094.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 144

Pudde

so the cracks are like whats in the pics of cecils motor.talk to a motor guy and he said basically should be alright to weld up and function normally after.so going ahead and buying it all for the 800.will post a few pics over the weekend after i get it all home . thx for everyones help on this..much appreciated :) paul

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I had a friend once who has a numbers matching small block 327 in his vette (375hp) and the price to repair it was outragous so I suggested two types of repair one was a powdered nickle welder witch I hace and worls exelent and the other is A-B epoxy. He used the epoxy and the stuff works like steel me brothe was in the nave and said that this stuff was called devcon-f and they repaired ship hulls with it. It has beed 20 years since the repair and it still does not leak.

Hey chevykid where did you get that .035 fluxed wire for cast at. I would like to get some as I got free 409 cracked block from the neighbor a year ago and I might try that method as I can't find powdered nickel in mn. anyplace.

Pudde

block and parts home

got the lot home ok today..rained the whole way there and back :roll

where are the cast numbers for the crank located at on it?..seems i have a set of rods and pistons that were in it with it,and another set as well..ill have to post pics of it all. have an old harmonic balancer and the cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds. oil pan and timing cover and some other little odds n ends. block does have that X on front. any way of knowing which of the 2 versions of this block it is?..no stamping on the pad (might had been decked..seems to look old and somewhat of an original swirl marks) hehe thx paul :)

blown55409

Well Known Member
Pudde,
I just had my extra block welded by a guy in Gresham Oregon. I know it's a hundred miles away but the guy is real good. I had what looked like a five inch crack just below the deck on the outside. He always grands a v over the crack to just beyond where it ends before welding. On my block though the crack extended on the inside of the water jacket and couldn't be seen or maged from the outside, The repair weld ended up being over twice as long as what was maged. I asked him to show me how he does it (one welder to another). He said he heats the block to about 1600 to 1800 degrees and then gas welds it with 100% cast iron using a #4 tip. Cost $250.00.
Call Jim @ CJ Welding 503-492-3030 as he is semi retired you have to make an apointment.
very best regards
chip

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
weld cast iron

Came across this site www.breckocorp.com says they sale a welding rod that will repair all cast iron with out heating. The rod is called "Magna 770". Has anyone heard of this or tried it? Check it out! I have located a 409 engine in South Texas that is cracked, if I make the deal I may give this a try.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s