Power Brake Booster on HiPo 409

DaveN

Well Known Member
I just installed my 409 in my 63 already reinstalled the power brake booster and found out you cant pull your drivers side valve cover without pulling the booster off first, unless someone has a trick to do it.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Only problem with the new higher bracket, is the stock air cleaner won’t fit as the drivers snorkel hits the master cylinder.
That’s what happened with my car, with a dual snorkel.

Dave

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Only problem with the new higher bracket, is the stock air cleaner won’t fit as the drivers snorkel hits the master cylinder.
That’s what happened with my car, with a dual snorkel.

Dave
How much do you have to raise for the air cleaner to clear. You can get spacers to raise air cleaner if you have the hood clearance. I did this for a open element chrome air cleaner to clear a edelbroch 650 carb choke housing. Of course this is on a 66 Chevy pickup with plenty of hood clearance.

Last edited:

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Don,
I already have a 1 inch carb spacer under the carbs that makes the top of the air cleaner within a 1/4” of hitting the hood.
In the photo you can see the air cleaner is hitting the master cylinder and the snorkel is making the air cleaner sit at a big angle up word.
But I just figured out something, if I cut the base circle of the air cleaner and just turned the snorkels to a different angle than rewelded back together all the cutting and welding would be on the bottom side of the air cleaner base.
At this moment I’m using a aftermarket cleaner., but I want the stock look.

Dave

Attachments

• 01C21102-3921-40FF-B916-A58DA63C476C.jpeg
    01C21102-3921-40FF-B916-A58DA63C476C.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the post on this forum I just made on the high rise bracket I used with a 7 inch booster and tall valve covers.
http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/power-brake-booster.39393/

Attached is a picture of the high rise bracket I used before it was installed.
Also pictured is my 63/64 chrome original air cleaner that clears the booster and dual master cylinder (Right Stuff disc brakes + the high rise bracket came from Right Stuff in Ohio. The carbs are original carter AFB's on a original intake. The black 62 409 2-4 air cleaner will not work since the snorkels are located on the air cleaner to the side vs the front on the 63/64 2-4 chrome air cleaners.
Paul
DSCN4342.JPGDSCN4357.JPGDSCN4954.JPG

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Actually the 2nd picture of a booster "above" is a restored (by Booster Dewey) 1962 Chevy factory power brake booster. Note that it is also high rise compared to the picture above it with the Right Stuff Booster that is zinc plated -they were sold by Right Stuff at the time in zinc plated gold color(compared to the "black color" high rise booster link I provided from Summit for a Right Stuff high rise booster bracket).
Paul

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Paul, thanks for the photos.
I just figured out something, your dual snorkel air cleaner is different from the aftermarket one from show-cars.
Or yours isn’t dual carb air cleaner.
The angle of the snorkels is different of the placement of the snorkels on my show-Cars air cleaner for my Eledblock carbs. See my post above as to what I’m going to do.

Dave

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Paul, thanks for the photos.
I just figured out something, your dual snorkel air cleaner is different from the aftermarket one from show-cars.
Or yours isn’t dual carb air cleaner.
The angle of the snorkels is different of the placement of the snorkels on my show-Cars air cleaner for my Eledblock carbs. See my post above as to what I’m going to do.

Dave
Dave, a 62 dual quad air cleaner has the driver side snorkel almost straight out toward the fender. The 63 and 64 dual quad air cleaners have the snorkels pointed more forward toward the alternator. The snorkels are the same distance from each other just turned clockwise on the base, the same as you are planning to do.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
This might not be of much help, but I had the same issue with my '62 with the 409. This car has a factory power brake booster and every time I wanted to take off the driver side valve cover, I had to unbolt the booster and master cylinder from the wall. What a PITA that was. One day I had my friend come up to help me with something, and he being smaller then me, I wanted him to disconnect the brake/pedal rod so we could start the removal process. I already had the valve cover unbolted. I went to get something and when I returned, he had the cover off. I couldn't believe it. I had him put it back on and take it off again. No trick or secret. He just moved and wiggled it until he had it just right and off it came. I actually did it myself. Again, this is on my '62 with a 409, stock valve cover and power brake booster, Carmine.

DaveN

Well Known Member
I have a 400 hp 409 I am not having any issues with the air cleaner I am having an issue getting the drivers side valve cover off, I only have about an inch or a little less to raise it. Did the hipo cars even come with power brakes when new?