Power STeering bracket shim

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
I am building up my 63 with all the accessory pulleys and items mounted on the block. The power steering pump when mounted in the bracket does not pivot well to allow belt adjustment. If it's moved slightly away from the block it pivots fine. My first idea was to put washers between the block and the mount for the pump, I noticed Show Cars sells three different shims to address this situation. Have others noticed this ? Seems like GM made this arrangement poorly.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have had almost zero problems (with pump adjustment) with 4 factory PS setups on my 62's. 63 power steering is the same. I just finished 2 more factory PS pumps on 2 - 1962's one is a friends.
I have factory PS on 2 - 409 cars and 2 - 327 cars.
I have the following questions to help solve your problem :
  • Do you have factory PS brackets that mount the pump to the block ? - 3 of mine are original pump brackets to the block and 1 is a repro PS pump bracket (the 409 repro mounting bracket one needed minor correction to the slotted mount so the pump rotated freely)
  • Do you have a factory original PS pump with a stud on the back(with a hex nut on it) and a stud/hex nut or threaded adjustment bolt for the slotted tightening bracket that mounts to the block or the exhaust manifold ?
  • Does the pump have a stud/with a fixed hex nut with threads on the back nearest the engine block ? The factory pumps had a stud with a fixed hex nut in the lower mounting hole in the bracket.
  • Does the pump tilt without bidding, in the bracket when its not mounted on the block with the stud/hex nut in place ?
  • The pump will if pushed as far left into the bracket as possible is tight. I am referring to factory PS pump brackets.
  • The PS belt used should be one where the pump moves at least 1 to almost 2 inches to the right in the pump mounting bracket.
  • If you use shims on the pump bracket you may have problems getting your altenator belt to clear the front of the power steering pump(this applys when you are using factory pulleys and mounting brackets for the alternator )
Paul

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I used three or four flat washers to shim my aftermarket bracket to line the pulleys up. I am using small block pulleys, so I don't know if that made a difference.

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
The bracket I am using is a repo from Classic Industries...The pump is supposed to be a rebuilt 63 (original). I used a bolt with a intregal washer in the adjusting slot. with the correct 409 no air pulley. With the bracket slightly away from the block everything lines up correctly and I can adjust the belt. If I had an original bracket i guess it would not be necessary to use the spacer..Must be why ShowCars had to make the shims. They do list different pulleys for the small and big blocks.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have 2 reproduction 409 power steering brackets for the pump to the block from Show Cars. They both fit without shims.
In my opinion Show Cars (who makes the brackets and other parts -lots of them) makes the most accurate brackets, pulleys clutch linkage, air cleaners, oil pans, valve covers etc. The owner of Show Cars is a 409 guy.
If shims work, there is nothing wrong with using them.
I shimmed my water pump triple pulley to make the factory air on my 409 work
Paul

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Alignment is based on 409 crank pulley with factory damper on a 348 or 409 crank. Anything else can have aftermarket or other build variances. Water pump pulley flange is adjustable.