Power steering pump with a CPP 500 box?

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
I am installing power steering in my 63 Impala. I purchased a CPP 500 series steering box. It came with the hoses (flair fittings). I have the stock power steering brackets on the motor. Which pump will mount up and has the correct fitting for the flair hose connection. The original does not appear to have the correct fitting on the pump. According to the Showcars catalog the pump used in a 78-79 Malibu is correct but will it mount to the stock 409 brackets? What vintage pump have you had good results with?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I used rebuilt original 61 to 64 PS pump on my 62 Impala 409 SS by changing the male threaded connector on the back of the pump to a female connection. The threaded connector was originally connected to the metal connector pipe for the original PS hoses. My PS is a borgensen 600 series with the two PS hoses - one hose has male threads on both ends, the other hose has one threaded connection and hose only on the other end.

I just sent a new cardone pump purchased from Northern auto Parts that had a female connector on the rear bottom of the pump for a original 61 348 PS set that I sold. I changed it to the original male connector). That connector I think fits my threaded PS hoses that came with my Borgeson pump. I have pictures of both pumps.
What are the type of hoses that you have ? They should have names/types. I can find the types of hoses that I have.
Paul

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
The hose set I received with the box has the fittings for the 500 box on one end and the other end has a rubber hose with no fitting one one end, and a inverted flare fitting on the other. I had no idea you could change out the hose connection on the pump. While at the Carlisle show a vendor had what he told me was a original pump,but it had a male fitting on it. Since I needed a female flair connection I passed on it. I will see if I can purchase an original and change the fitting to accept what I need. The hose set I have is from CPP and is part # CPUHK.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The replacement pump I noted actually stated that you have to change the 2 studs/with fixed hex head bolts on the back of the original pump and transfer them to the new pump and also the fitting change from the new to the old, can be made, from the old male type connector to the female from the new pump. The studs are used for the bottom of the pump mounting and the adjustment in the slotted 409 pump bracket that attaches to the exhaust manifold and the front of the head. The new pumps do have a shorter pipe off the back of the pump(for the hose with no end on it ) than the original pumps.

I have at 3 or 4 female connectors to the pumps, that I have removed from other pumps ( I don't remember if they are from old or new replacement pumps).
That hose set looks to be the same hose set I have for my Borgenson 600 series pump. My Borgenson PS pump on the frame is made to clear the 4 core radiator in my 409. I am running one hose under the Borgenson PS pump and the so its long enough to reach the back of the pump on the motor. The other hose might run right next to it or around the frame.

Paul

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
I also figure I will need to purchase a new radiator that has the cutout to clear the 500 series pump. I noticed AutoZone sells what they claim is a exact replacement for a 63 409. I most likely will buy one and see what I have to work with.

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
I received a 6078 pump..It was not as pictured, but I removed the two hex bolts on the back and was able to mount it in the brackets for the power steering with bolts in the bottom bracket. I used a bolt with a attached washer (from Lowes) in the top slide adjustment bracket. The pump came with a female fitting that fit my power steering hose. maybe I just lucked out.