Power steering upgrade 1962 Belair bbc

Ls5bigblock

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would like to upgrade manual steering to power steering in 1962 Belair with a 4 core bbc radiator (409) radiator is not notch.
Does someone make a kit that will clear radiator and bolt in. Will a 605 box fit?
Thank you in advance for any help.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a bunch of options to consider. I have 3 factory power steering 62's, two 409s and one 62- 327 motor.
All of these 62's have 4 core 409 radiators that I want to keep and not have to buy a $600/$700 notched radiator for a PS conversion
  1. I have tried the Global West Power Steering system on 2 of my 62's -current cost for a new Global West systems from $ 1300 to $ 1500
  2. plus looked at just a Borgenson Conversion for 62's with a 409 motor and big radiator -looks different than the last time I could not get the one I bought to fit correctly.
  3. There are new Power steering systems out now - for the two I listed under #1 and # 2 above to compare to a original PS system
  4. A factory power steering system is around $ 800 with all new parts( I making up a list from all my factory conversions using todays prices)
  5. I am reviewing the cost comparisons I noted here and if I am missing anything
  6. I have a friend who has a 62 and we just discussed his conversion to power steering during this winter.
What motor are you using with your 409 4 core radiator ?
My 409 radiators work way to good for cooling to be changing them.....
Paul

4spd409

Well Known Member
I added a CPP 500 power steering to my 61. Although I have a small block I installed a 409 type radiator for extra cooling. It is an aluminum one that has the notch for the steering box. It also has tanks that look like an original radiator. I purchased it from Auto City Classic for about $200. The 500 box bolts up to the original holes so doesn't require an adapter. I also added offset upper control arm shafts so I could get more positive caster ( about 2 degrees). Very happy with the feel and handling.

ehernan3

Well Known Member
Thank you for all the reply’s to my post. Great information. I ordered a kit from ecklers with a 605 box.
I will let you know how it works out Thanks again.
Hey, how did that installation go? I'm researching this forum for recommendations/personal experience.

ehernan3

Well Known Member
Thanks, @Toms63SSQB . Does the 605 conversion require any changes to the steering shaft? I think I'm finding conflicting information on the web. At least one kit includes a new shaft