Power window issues

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Hello does anyone have any advice on factory power windows for a 1963 impala. My motors work but I have to manually help them them up or down. I was thinking about replacing the 30amp breaker behind the kick panel to see if that helps. But I’m also thinking about replacing the motors to see if new ones will have more power. Is there any brands of motors that are better than others? I’ve found a pair of ACC motors on eBay for $99.
thank you

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My experience with factory power windows is that the original motors do not have enough power.
my motors had been rebuilt and still not enough power - had to help the door windows up & down.
if the springs on the arms have ever been off they can affect the operation - dangerous to remove and replace the springs- they have to be as tight as possible.
some original power windows sets work just fine.

I strongly doubt that aftermarket/reproduction motors would be any better as compared to originals..
I have read comments from a number of guys on repro power window motors ( from one source China made from the sounds of the comments) and the are not good....

USA made power windows is what I did.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
NuRelics from South Carolina( I have 2 sets plus installed one set in a friends 62 SS 409 convertible).
I used factory original American Autowire power window wiring harnesses (I bought new harnesses). Good used harnesses would work-significant $ saved....Also the original wiring mounts to the car in the factory locations on the doors and rear 1/4s and the harnesses sold by NuRelics do not match the factory mounting locations. Your factory wiring will have those mounting locations, plus your factory switches can be used without removing them from the car door and rear 1/4 panels(arm rest if a convertible).

They (NuRelics ) supplied jumper wires to plug into the factory harnesses.
I have pictures of the jumper wires with a switch off some kind wired into the jumper wires (one for each window).
Paul

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello does anyone have any advice on factory power windows for a 1963 impala. My motors work but I have to manually help them them up or down. I was thinking about replacing the 30amp breaker behind the kick panel to see if that helps. But I’m also thinking about replacing the motors to see if new ones will have more power. Is there any brands of motors that are better than others? I’ve found a pair of ACC motors on eBay for $99.
thank you

I would replace the switches before anything else. Every aftermarket kit I've had in various cars have had the same problem, windows slow or won't come up at all, go down fine but struggle to come up especially if all the way down. I found in every case the switches were dropping too much voltage, new switches solved this for me a few times now.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Check the amp draw on those motors to see what they are pulling. It could be lots of things, window mechanism, switches, motors, wiring or wire connections. Replacing parts may work, it also may cost more money than necessary.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Just go to the heart of the matter. Take a car battery and connect direct wiring to window motor. Only momentarily connect till window goes full travel then disconnect wire . Reverse wiring to check operation both up and down. If motor still drags you know it is either motor (most likely) or binding in regulator or faulty window channeling.

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Thanks for the info I will definitely start with testing equipment first. Replacing switches is another option I haven’t thought of

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here are the switches I bought and they work (even though they say 64 & 65 and newer)-they snap into the brackets -check how the originals are installed on the surronding mounting brackets that clamp to the door panels and rear 1/4 panels
They fit the original mounting brackets on the door panels which is important ....
I think Cars gets them in the US.

https://carsinc.com/switch-1-button-power-window-12919.html
https://carsinc.com/switch-4-button-power-window-12920.html

I tested about 10 used original power window switches that I had on my new power windows only about a 1/3 of them worked.
My friend showed me how to repair original switches by taking the apart cleaning the contacts and then reassembling them.
Paul

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
GM used to sell a lubricant for the felt in the tracks, they don’t have their own product any more but the local dealer did have an alternative that helps a lot with tight channels. It also did not leave any oily trace on the glass. I’ve used it in my modern vehicles and my 63 vette.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I wonder how silicone spray would work on the felt. After spray dries only silicone is left behind dry.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I never liked the graphite for cables. It seemed to gunk up, and if you had clear cables it discolored them. I always use Triflow.