Powerglide drain plug?

airsurf

Well Known Member
Have a 59 impala with 348 and powerglide. Looking underneath I noticed a threaded hole in the bottom of the transmission. Approximately 1/2". Nothing coming out of it. Car has been stored for 20 years and I had it shipped. Not sure if there was ever a plug in the hole or not. Thought maybe shipper pulled it to drain fluid (if it's a drain hole) although they didn't worry about the oil or gas. Possibly it's an inspection hole? Trying to fire it up soon.
Thanks, Eric

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If this is the old cast iron powerglide, then there is no pan and it had a drain plug. I am not sure where you are saying the hole is. I would check all fluids before firing it up. Also flush brake system and make sure all brakes work, you could have some frozen wheel cylinders. I would put a couple of inline fuel filters to stop any debris from plugging up the fuel system. A car stored that long with all the fluids in it will be a mess if not cleaned up before fire up. Congratulations on finding something that is waiting to come back to life, treat it with the love it deserves.:beerbang Roy

airsurf

Well Known Member
The hole is dead center,

facing down, directly behind the engine oil pan. About 2-3" behind it and only about an inch from the front of the trans. Is the flywheel in this location? And yes, it is a cast iron pg. Diagrams in the shop manuals (58 and 59) don't show the bottom area very well. There are other bolts down there but I think they make various adjustments to the trans. Any suggested shops for locating this plug?
Thanks for the tips. I replaced all the fuel lines yesterday. The line between the tank and the first metal line would be a prime location for a filter. The brakes will be my next project when/if the engine fires.
Thanks, Eric

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK that hole is called an access hole and is below the torque converter. The original torque converter was a two piece affair that could be taken apart and rebuilt, although it can be replaced by a more modern torque converter. Your drain plug should be about 2 inches in front of where the trans case kicks up for the tail shaft. In other words on the other end of the trans from where you found the missing plug. By the way I wouldn't worry about putting a plug in there as it will let any water or fluids that collect in the torque converter housing get out. Those old cast iron powerglides were very durable trans and if service is what you're looking for then it is a good one. You will probably be hard pressed to find a shop that would know how to work on one. Hope this helps. :) Roy

airsurf

Well Known Member
Just to let you know I got it running today. Runs pretty good considering. Now to get the brakes working. Also need to check the generator and voltage regulator.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Congratulations!:cheers If you take the cover off the regulator [disconnect battery first] you will see three coils. The first coil on the left is the battery terminal. Connect battery and start engine and bring rpms up and see if the points close. If they don't close then you need to touch the points and see if they close. Some times when a car sits for a long time the coil just can't overcome the corrosion that is in the area of the points. Be sure and make sure the points open up when the engine is shut off, if they don't open they will run the battery down. You can adjust the regulator but you need an amp meter and a volt meter. You can have two different regulators, one would be single contact for normal generators and double contact for heavy duty generators. You can tell by looking at the field coil, it has a double contact coil. Be sure and don't try removing or installing the cover without disconnecting the battery, I've done that and regretted it because one little misque and you have fried the regulator.:bang I understand the old stuff, it is the computors and new stuff I get lost on. Let us know how the 59 drives and post pictures, I don't know how, :dunno so we can all see this great find.:D Roy

airsurf

Well Known Member
Thanks for the help on the regulator. Just had to tap the contacts and the held. Generator must be ok as the car kept running without the battery connected. Contacts appear to open when motor is off. And actually, I've had the car since about 1980 when I bought it for $1600. Drove it as a kid for 6 years then stored it in a hanger in 86 when I joined the Navy. Needs a lot of work as far as cleaning up the underside and needs a new interior. Out of sight, out of mind for 21 years. Back then nothing was available but now looks like I could find everything I need. Can't wait to drive it. Are master cylinder and the individual wheel brake cylinder rebuild kits available?

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The last time I rebuilt the 58 I got the kits at O'Reilly's. When I lived in California about 40 years ago Pep Boys handled a lot of stuff for old cars. They had jets for 97 Strombergs when I ran a gasser. 58 Delivery on this site I believe sells parts and complete brake systems. I just havn't researched the posiblities of sources on brakes. :dunno Roy

58impala

Well Known Member
I checked my 58 powerglide today and the plug you describe is open. I didn't check to see if it was threaded. You will probably have major rust throughout the brake system including master cyclinder, lines, and wheel cylinders. Brake parts including wheel cylinders are available from Ecklers and several other sources. Since you will have the brake system opened up I would replace all the tubing, hoses, and rebuild the master cyclinder. If you have a power brake booster, that can also be rebuilt. Many many parts are available today for the '59, and you will have no problems finding just about all the parts you need.