powersteering/alternator conversion

58brookwood

Hello Wise ones,
I have a 58 Brookwood station wagon with the origional 348 powerglide, treadle vac brakes, power-assist steering: I have heard that if I drill and tap the bolt hole(s) I can mount the powersteering pump on the front of the engine. I would like to remove the generator/powersteering pump combo for an alternator and powersteering pump that mounts on the engine (drivers side)
I have heard that it will not work due to clearance problems, and I have heard that it will work. Has anyone here done this conversion? can you let me know if this was a positive or negative experience?
If this will work can you tell me were I can buy the brackets and pulleys needed to do the conversion. If someone has a picture of this set up I would love to see it as I went to the good guys show two weeks ago and did not see any 348/409 engines to reference.
Also I am considering getting rid of the power assist and doing the 605 powersteering conversion as it seems the cost to fix the factory power assist unit is about the same as the 605 conversion. I would appreciate any advise you can give me regarding these conversions negative or positive.
Last but not least: I am considering a distributer change and the only options for the 348 motor seems to be a unilite distributer or a petronix points to electronic conversion again any advise is appreciated. This car is not a race car and will be used as a daily driver.
Thanks, Bill
Thanks, Bill

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bill, this conversion has been done many times. Some of the other fellas on here can help you with the specifics with a 58. I did my 64 and have attached two pics of a typical 605 conversion. If I did this again I might go for the smaller gm pump and remote resevoir to save space. I have seen this installation and it looked real neat. Most of this stuff is available thru the junk yards if you can find them. i chose to buy mine and get new but every one does it differently. You will need a bottle neck pump for this to work out ok. Brackets are available from show cars and a number of other vendors. In fact you can buy the whole kit from some.
On a side note, I am now retired and traveling with the RV and just so happen to be visting my son and his family up in Daly City. I see that you are from San Jose which is where he works. Small world at times! Hope the pics help. The other guys will chime in and help out I'm sure. :)

Attachments

• powerstrg.jpg
    powerstrg.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 90
  • powerstrg2.jpg
    powerstrg2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 91

58brookwood

Hello W OGDEN,
Thanks for the info and the pictures, that realy helps me understand how it will come together. Now that I have decided to do the powersteering conversion I have read that there is another steering box besides the 605 that I can use for the conversion, the box is made by CPP and its the 600 series box p/n CP50003 has anyone here used or heard of this box? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Also whats the best way to attach the origional steering column to the new box? do you have to cut and shorten the stock steering shaft? will the stock rag joint work?
I heard that the 605 box will not work with a front sway bar then I heard that it will work but you have to make spacers to space it away from the box any comments on this? Last but not least what pulleys will I need to run the powersteering and alternator, will I need a double waterpump pulley and double powersteering pump pulley? What about the crank pulley will a double work or do I need a triple pulley?
Thanks, Bill