Pre-oiling 348

chevy58guy

Supporting Member 1
Hello everyone:
I'm getting ready to start my 348...been told by friends to pre-oil the motor before starting. Can anyone give me advise on the proper way to do this. Top end and bottom end
Thank You Joe:rolleyes:

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The best way to do it is with the proper tool. Get yourself an engine pre-luber, one with the bushing on the bottom. This will ensure oiling to the top half. One for a sbc/bbc will work fine for a 348/409. You will want to do this as close to initial start-up as possible.

bobs409

Administrator
As Bungy said, or you can make one from an old distributor. (something I keep putting off!) :D

They sell a tool without the bushing that will spin the oil pump but without that bushing or a housing, the oil won't get up into the lifter area.

One other thing to add...you should rotate the engine over a few times during the pre-oiling. That will ensure that everything gets lubed good. Spin the oil pump a while, then rotate the engine 1/4 turn, and repeat. Do this for 1 or 2 complete revolutions.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
pre-oil

After I do all of the above to a fresh rebuild and when coming out of storage, I kill the juice going into the coil and spin the motor over until I build oil pressure . Then I connect the elec, and fire that puppy up..

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
pre oiler

The sbc/bbc pre-oiler tool will not work in a 409. For the same reason that a sbc/bbc distributor won't. You will have to modify it by making a new bushing for it. I did that for my pre oiler, and it worked great I will post a picture when I get a spare minute

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
pre oiler bushing

here's the picture. 409 bushing is on the right.

Attachments

• 409 pre-oiler bushing.jpg
    409 pre-oiler bushing.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 351

smithd7

Well Known Member
pre-oiler

I bought a pre-oiler a few years back,it's a can that you can fill with oil, pressurize and hook up to to oil pressure port and oil compleate engine without turning it over with the starter,works great.I do this a couple of times.

:cheers

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I plan to make one out of a truck distibutor as not to destroy a car version! :) NUT

truck409

Supporting Member 1
:D :D me too,since I don't need a truck distributor with a govenor in it for my truck 409,why not put it to good use,good thought,348 NUT!

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Now if I just had something that needed pre-oiling!:D All my engines are well oiled already! :rolleyes:

chevy58guy

Supporting Member 1
Thanks Again

To all the good guys with the good info----The best!:cheers :cheers

Thanks Again By the way, I called Showcars and they hooked me up with a pre-oiler. I'm ready to rock!:D

oil4kids

Well Known Member
turn by hand

Instead of using a drill to turn the preoiler or distributor try turning it by hand using a vise grip- you will see how hard it is to turn and how much horsepower the oil pump really takes away from the motor-

combine that with a heavier weight oil and cold weather
ignore the initial first or second turn wait until the pump comes up to pressure

its a wonder the distributor gear survives so long