Preparing for HOT Summer Driving ???

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
All,

Well I got the BelAir put back together enough to take the 409 out for a drive !!!!! :cool: That was great fun and everything seems to be working great, motor and driving wise. Now I have to get the A/C recharged and ready for the HOT Summer driving, that's where the problem comes in.

The cables for the factor A/C system are frozen again. This happens every time I want to use the system after the winter. The two long cables, cold air and vent seize up. Anyone know where I can get some new ones so that I don't have this problem every spring ??? :dunno I've tried many different lubes and they free it up for awhile but not long term. :(

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
" everything seems to be working great". Man, thats what we have been waiting to hear. Glad you are finally on the road. As for the cables, forget it Nuts, you cant cool the motor with A.C. on. Roll the windows down like the rest of us and enjoy the wind. :cheers

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
windows ???

Ronnie,

Roll the Windows down ???? Now there is a thought, now I'll have to install the window cranks !!!:roll

That works for me no problem, but there is this great looking girl that rides along with me, and she just can't take the heat. Anyway I've found that Old Air Products has them so I ordered them today. I'll let everyone know how they work out...

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Okay Nuts, Now that you have explained about the great lookin girl, I understand. Whatever it takes, 2 or 3 radiators, a roof mounted extra a.c. compressor, you gotta do what you gotta do. :roll

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hot in Idaho?

Hot?????????? What is hot in Idaho????????? Pretty far north to be real hot, isn't it? Never been there, so I don't know. Hot like Texas?????

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Hot in Idaho. I thought it snowed there in June Air conditioning.... Just put the top down...heh heh:beerbang :beerbang

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
rstreet said:
Hot in Idaho. I thought it snowed there in June Air conditioning.... Just put the top down...heh heh:beerbang :beerbang

Do what they do in Texas,,,,,

Attachments

• air condition.jpg
    air condition.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 89

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hot like Texas ???

SS425HP said:
Hot?????????? What is hot in Idaho????????? Pretty far north to be real hot, isn't it? Never been there, so I don't know. Hot like Texas?????

HOT in Idaho... How about 29 days in a row over 100 degrees ??? :beerbang The part of Idaho where I live is a desert just like El Paso. The nice thing about Idaho is we don't have the humididity so it's more comfortable, they say... :dunno

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes but you have Mormons !! heeee heeee

some times you just have to let your car sit on days like that and drive after the sun goes down.
OR follow a leaking water truck !!!:roll

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I'm measuring my 61's windows for the Texas A/C. Just gotta have it.Heh Heh

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Update !!!!

All,

I got the Ez slip cables from Old Air Products but didn't get the main cable to turn on the compressor. It has a steel rod that you screw a knob onto and they don't have that one. Because this is the main one used to control the AC system I would really like to find one. Anyone know where to start looking ????

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nuts, excuse my igrorance about a.c. systems, but is the cable that you need from a 62 factory air car? If it is, I have a bunch of those cables laying around. Can you describe it a little better?

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'll try !!!

Ronnie,

Thanks.... The cable runs from the right side of the center console to the air vent on the bottom of the cowl vent on the engine side. It activates the compressor switch. It looks like a choke cable or vent cable, with a knob threaded on the end.

It's a lot easier to look at than describe ??? Do you have any other AC pieces ? I could use a center vent console that's not pitted and one of the side air vents.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nuts, Sorry I missed your post last night. I pulled off all of the factory air stuff off of my 62and piled it up. Tomorrow I will sort it out and see what is usable. It was in pretty sad shape, but maybe there will be something you can use.