Prepping Benchrest Brass

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Ray and I were talking about how I prep brass for my 6PPC Competition Rifle. I'll go through it step by step. Beware it's long. After shooting Benchrest for years, I have found that shortages are commonplace. You may go 6-8 months not being able to buy powder, brass, primers, bullet jackets, lead cores, ect. Always, after the shortage comes the price increase. For instance the Lapua 220 Russian brass I use is now $104 per hundred. I buy a case of a thousand at a time because they will all be from the same lot number which is important. I'm down to the last 4 boxes of a hundred which I paid 75 cents apiece. The extra case of a thousand on my shelf cost 93 cents apiece. I've known guys to keep 50K primers on hand and buy 2 pallets of powder at a time.

I start out measuring the length of the brass from the base to the neck overall length. There is a lot number on top of the Lapua box below. They all measure the same if the lot number is the same usually. This is important because the necks have to be cut the same amount into the shoulder/neck junction. Coming from the box the necks are .220 diameter and are .016 thick. The first step is to lube the inside of the neck with Murray's Hair Dressing Pomade. Just to show I'm not racist this is what the black folks use on their hair. Someone gave me this orange tub which will last me a lifetime. I use the end of a q-tip without the cotton to swab the inside of the cases. I lube 10 cases and then with the expander in my loading press I pull the handle twice changing the diameter from 220 to 6mm. See 2nd pic for difference in diameter below. Then I chuck the primer end of the brass in the cordless drill and run it around 200 RPM. If you turn it too fast the orange Pumpkin turner mandrill will heat up and gall. I didn't show a pic of the bottle of red stuff I use for lube because I didn't want someone to think it was blood and get butthurt. I put some ATF that is is the bottle in the little cap you see in pic #1 and apply a dab to the pumpkin mandrill with a cotton q-tip.. Then I cut the neck to .0085 initial cut using a tubing mic to be sure of the measurement. You should be able to see where the cut is made into the neck/shoulder junction area in one of the pics. When I pull the turner from the brass after making the cut, I wipe the lube from the outside of the neck, spin the brass and run a hard nylon brush into the neck to get rid of any burrs, and then polish the outside of the neck with 600 sandpaper.

You can buy brass pre-turned for and extra buck a piece. I'm too cheap for that and besides, I need to stay busy. I usually use 20 new pieces of brass for my bag guns and 30 for my rail gun. Most of the time when I put a new barrel on I use a new set of brass. I hand load one at a time. I shoot the brass until it clicks when opening the bolt. I shoot a pretty hot load so I usually get at least 30 firings from a piece of brass, sometimes more. The brass gets work hardened down by the base. I have a custom sizing die for the brass that sizes the neck/shoulder area 1-1.5 thou and the base .200 up a half a thou. I am in the process of turning 200 pcs now. I have 300 left from last year but just need the warm fuzzy of being ahead.

Attachments

• Some Of Tools Involved.jpg
    Some Of Tools Involved.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 16
  • New 220 and expanded.jpg
    New 220 and expanded.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Expander.jpg
    Expander.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Expander Lube.jpg
    Expander Lube.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wow your really into it, quite awhile back I took a M1 carbine and rechambered it for 218 Bee. I tried resizing 30 carbine cases in a 218 die but wound up using 218 cases that I turned the rim down in a lathe (very time consuming) as I wanted to use 218 loading data and was unhappy with the M1 carbine interior case dimensions. When I was resizing the 30 carbine cases I was using anhydrous lanolin as a lubricant and it worked extremely well, I still use it to this day when reloading.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Here's the turner I use, similar to a lathe. I can adjust the cut by .0001 increments. I've turned thousands of pieces of brass with this tool. Note the pic turned and partially turned. The piece on the right is fully turned and you can see the cut made partially into the neck/shoulder junction. The other piece was just cut part way for viewing.

After the brass is all cut I run it through my sizing die so it will chamber in the gun properly and size the neck so it will hold a bullet. It would be to tight to go in the chamber if I didn't do that. After I size the brass, I prime it, load with powder, and put a junk bullet in it. I shoot these loads to fireform them in my benchrest rifles when sighting in a new barrel. The brass grown in diameter and length with the fireforming process. Also after cleaning I always fire one round down the barrel to fowl the bore. About every 30-40 rounds I use an abrasive called Iosso to get all the copper and carbon fouling from the bore. After using Iosso I always use 2 of the above loaded rounds to foul the bore. The first thing I know the whole box of 100 has been fireformed the first time.

Next I clean all the necks with 0000 steel wool to remove the carbon from the once fired rounds. Then I lube the outside of the case and run them through my sizing die in my press. After that I trim all the cases to the same length with my Giraud Trimming tool. It trims the overall length and champers the inside and outside of the case mouth. Now it's time to do the final cut on the necks. I go through the same process as turning the first time and trim the necks to .0081 My reamers have a neck diameter of .262 so when I seat a bullet with .0081 necks I end up with 1-1.5 clearance with the chambered loaded round with a seated bullet. After this final cut I have to run them all through my sizing die because I expanded the necks before turning. Then I prime the brass and load again. I shoot it the second firing again just as I did the first, using the rounds as foulers, ect.

Now after two firings the brass is ready for match use. It has to be cleaned again with steel wool, lubed, sized, primed, and then loaded and it's good to go.

In the last pic the bottom piece is new 220 Russian. The top piece has been prepped and fired several times. Notice how fire forming has stretched the brass out to chamber dimensions.

Attachments

• Pumpkin.jpg
    Pumpkin.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Pumpkin 1.jpg
    Pumpkin 1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Turned and Partially Turned.jpg
    Turned and Partially Turned.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20191208_140700761.jpg
    IMG_20191208_140700761.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Wow your really into it, quite awhile back I took a M1 carbine and rechambered it for 218 Bee. I tried resizing 30 carbine cases in a 218 die but wound up using 218 cases that I turned the rim down in a lathe (very time consuming) as I wanted to use 218 loading data and was unhappy with the M1 carbine interior case dimensions. When I was resizing the 30 carbine cases I was using anhydrous lanolin as a lubricant and it worked extremely well, I still use it to this day when reloading.

Possible you should have used 2 dies to get the 30 carbine formed??

I use anhydrous lanolin in my bullet swaging process. Never tried it for sizing lube. I've always stuck with Imperial Sizing wax.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dave, do you use carbide dies? are they custom built dies or off the shelf. Micrometer adjust?

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Possible you should have used 2 dies to get the 30 carbine formed??

I use anhydrous lanolin in my bullet swaging process. Never tried it for sizing lube. I've always stuck with Imperial Sizing wax.
The 30 carbine cases were reforming well but after I sectioned one I realized the interior dimension was quite smaller than a real 218 case.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Dave, do you use carbide dies? are they custom built dies or off the shelf. Micrometer adjust?

Custom dies and they are carbide Tom. I sent 5 fired cases to a guy in Pennsylvania and he polished the die to fit. They are straight line dies meaning there is no bushing to size the neck. The die screws into an adapter on my Hood Press. This adapter has 1/2 thousands increments for adjusting the die. I size the brass just so I can feel a touch of resistance when closing the bolt at the bottom of the stroke. I remove the firing pin from the bolt when doing this so I get a "clean" feel. The brass having the tight fit in the chamber makes for better accuracy.

The 30 carbine cases were reforming well but after I sectioned one I realized the interior dimension was quite smaller than a real 218 case.

So you weren't going to have enough powder capacity?

Last edited:

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That’s quite a process Dave! Growing up my stepdad did a lot of his own reloading and was very meticulous about it. He had cards all over with all his notes on bullet type, brass, powder, primer and the results of how each combination worked with each of his guns. He was always trying different combinations to find what worked the best with each one.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Custom dies and they are carbide Tom. They are straight line dies meaning there is no bushing to size the neck. The die screws into an adapter on my Hood Press. This adapter has 1/2 thousands increments. I size the brass just so I can feel a touch of resistance when closing the bolt at the bottom of the stroke. I remove the firing pin from the bolt when doing this so I get a "clean" feel. The brass having the tight fit in the chamber makes for better accuracy.

So you weren't going to have enough powder capacity?
Yes as I wanted to stay with the standard published loading charts for a 218 Bee, the smaller interior case dimensions would have changed the pressures.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
That’s quite a process Dave! Growing up my stepdad did a lot of his own reloading and was very meticulous about it. He had cards all over with all his notes on bullet type, brass, powder, primer and the results of how each combination worked with each of his guns. He was always trying different combinations to find what worked the best with each one.

I keep a log for every barrel and track the number down the tube.