prime oil pump problems...

denson1932

Well Known Member
OK so now need to verify good oil pressure and adequate oil flow up to all the rockers in the fresh built 409...i have the intake not installed yet and use a EBay SBC primer it works but i get only about 10PSI (on my gauge screwed into the block above the oil filter) because the oil rises up in the dist. shaft well and overflows into the lifter galley. i cut a piece of rubber mat and punched a 1/2" hole into the center so as to plug the top of the well...unfortunately even when pushing down on the improvised gasket, and since the casting for the intake in the back is higher that the rest of the well so not doing me much good....and yes the drill is rotating CW looking down the well... do i need to sacrifice a 409 truck dist??? note: 10W 30 plus cam additive....
luckily all the oil overflow is flowing into the lifter galley not on the floor.

denson1932

Well Known Member
Here the sacrificial 409 truck dist. modified...cut the shat at the upper groove, added a sleeve and a cotter pin thru the 'governor?' hole down lower in the shaft....Success... got 55PSI and took awhile but verified oil to all 16 rockers.

Attachments

• DSCF3925.JPG
    DSCF3925.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 23