priming and painting a frame

Im making a frame off restoration on my 62 chevy bubbletop, I have some doubts about painting process. I have glassbeat blasted the frame, now I have to apply a primer and a paint. About priming I think the best choice Its PPG DP40 epoxi primer, then I do not know what kind of paint can I use (acrilic, urethane...) this is my main concern now to chose a paint that keep the frame good and nice and also resist the humidity and salt. Here in Lima Peru I have available Sherwing products, ppg and some dupont products, What is por15? Does the frame have to be gloss or semi gloss?Many thnks for your help Alvaro

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Choices

You have a good start in a properly prepared frame, taking her down to bare metal. I have done this differently over the years, depending on the application (whether I wanted it to look "factory correct" or "just plain functional".

The first X frame I did I sandblasted the parts, used a "metal prep" solution (that is basically an acid that etches the bare metal, giving it some "tooth" for subsequent paint), then applied POR-15 using a brush. That's right, a brush! POR-15 is a product that can be applied over bare metal (they say rusty parts as well) that dries to form a hardened sealer/barrier over the metal. Following the instructions on the product, you clean the bare metal, then "etch" it with Metal Prep, then apply the paint. You can spray the POR, but I recommend using a brush, less apt to get it in your lungs (it's nasty stuff!) and the result is a smooth finish. I used Eastwood's "Chassis Black" over the second thin coat of POR, just before it sets up.

The second frame I did I went exclusively with Eastwood products, using their "Rust Encapsulator" in the place of the POR above. I prefer the POR over the Rust Encapsulator, as the latter didn't "flow out" as well and left some brush marks on smaller flat parts, such as the A arms. As before, I top coated the frame using Chassis Black from Eastwood products.

Neither of these is even close to what the factory did, which was to lightly dust the frames with flattened semi-gloss black paint (semi-flat?), then stack them on rail cars and let them sit out in the elements before assembly :)

If I were to do it again, I would use a hardened single stage enamel on my frame, such as those in PPGs product line. I did this with my inner fender panels, pulleys, brackets, small pieces like that, and the results were excellent! It is more resilient to fluids, spills and "wrench bumps". The Eastwood spray bombs are not. Brake fluid immediately curdles the spray bomb products (at least that is my experience). It does not affect the POR, and I suspect a hardened enamel could withstand brief encounters with nasty chemicals.

If you can figure out how to correctly "flatten" the black enamel, you would have achieve a "close to the factory" look with good preservation potential. I worked with my local paint store to come up with a mix that GM used in the early 1960s, taken from a mix my friend did on a 1964 GTO. Good results, maybe a bit on the glossy side, as we didn't get enough flattener in there. Hey, it's my car, I like it!

Good luck in making your decision. We can steer you towards these products and their vendors if you would like to know more. Always read the labels when using the products, and if you spray, protect your lungs, these are dangerous mixtures!

Cheers,
TomK

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Nothing wrong with what Tom said. I just sand blast mine, wash it down with a metal prep and shoot it with PPG DP-90. That's it, DP-90 leaves a nice low gloss black finish.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
When it comes time do re-paint one of my wagon frames, I'll be heading down to the local powder coater.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Por 15

One thing I learned about POR 15 is that it really doesn't stand up to UV exposure. It must be topcoated if it will be used on a part that will be exposed to sunlight. I painted a rear axle housing with it and it sat outside for a few months and it turned all dull and chalky. I know it says that on the instructions but I was surprised to see something that hard and glossy deteriorate so rapidly. I had planned to topcat it anyway but just couldn't get to it soon enough. Tom is right about how it flows smooth with a brush. No marks.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Great Explanation!

real61ss said:
Nothing wrong with what Tom said. I just sand blast mine, wash it down with a metal prep and shoot it with PPG DP-90. That's it, DP-90 leaves a nice low gloss black finish.

Tom K. Really good explanation. You covered that really well!!! (excuse the pun)

Tommy N. DP-90?? I am familiar with DP-40 which is an epoxy primer, but dont know anything about PPG DP-90. What is it ???

ALSO, I remember reading once that Powder Coat on a frame wont last. My experience with PC coated parts has been really good. Anyone have opinions or insight on this???

Thanks!

Rock :cool:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
POR tip

Cecil, you are correct that POR15 doesn't fare well when exposed to sunlight. I use two thin coats over prepped bare metal, then as the second coat is drying, I cover it with whatever topcoat I plan to use for the final coat. That way the topcoat bonds to the POR, which does harden up. After it hardens up, they do not recommend putting some other topcoat product over the POR.

The POR folks sell an array of neat components, including topcoats, and if you do let that second coat harden, you can use their TieCoat product to go between (over) the hardened POR base and the topcoat.

Thought you might want to know. I did a simple test on some X frame horns, straight POR over the crust (very little prep, just roughed it up), no topcoat. Did the other horn similarly, but used a topcoat (semi-gloss black). The frame sits out uncovered, and after two years plus, both are holding up well, but the straight POR (no top coat) chalked up a bit, like Cecil mentions. Still holds up well, covers the corrosion, but looks bad. But it works!

Best,
TomK

gearhead409

Well Known Member
DP primer-sealer

DP 90 hasn't been available for several years now. the new one PPG is offering today is DP 90 LF (lead free) still a good product. DP is available in a number of colors. DP40LF ( DP40, old number ) is gray-green ( you know, something like the valve covers! )

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Rock,

Sorry I was slow responding, Bob & Gearhead are correct. They are the same, just different colors.

I've got the frame for my 61SS 409 just about ready to paint. Hopefuly, I'll get it done this weekend. I'm using Martin-Senour 5227 on it. That's supposed to be about the same as the DP-40

Attachments

• sandblasted frame 8-30-05.jpg
    sandblasted frame 8-30-05.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 46
  • sandblasted frame # 2 8-30-05.jpg
    sandblasted frame # 2 8-30-05.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 45

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"That's supposed to be about the same as the DP-40"

Sorry, :doh I meant to say DP-90, in other words, low gloss black

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Tommy

it's hard to believe that someday this one will look as good as your other one but with you doing it i know it will. that frame sure is a 61, look at the big round holes at the back side of the spring towers.