Pro sidewalk parking

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
Thought I'd share a mini build we did a few years ago.

stepbystep1-1.gif

stepbystep2.gif

stepbystep3.gif

StreetRodder1.gif

StreetRodder2.gif

A handle snaps on using a seatbelt latch and it pulls like a wagon. It has a full floor in it.

stepbystep4.gif

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
MAN.................I wish I was your neighbor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But if that was the case...........the Bounty Hunter would have had a 348 in it a long time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!! You do GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
That's a really nice little car you made for your boy and lots of great pictures.

Back in the 70s I built a car for my two daughters. It is a home made copy of a Thunderbird Junior. (In 1955 Ford sold battery powered mini T-Birds in addition to the full size car.) I welded up the frame using 1/2 square tubing. For power I used two 6 volt batteries and a Chrysler gear reduction starter motor and some bicycle chain & sprockets. It has two speeds forward (low = 6 volts high = 12 volts) and two speeds reverse, head & tail lights and a horn. Oldest daughter needed operations on her legs and couldn't get around so the little T-Bird was a way for her to go with us as we walked File0035 (Small).jpgFile0024 (Small).jpgFile0022 (Small).jpgFile0028 (Small).jpg to the store. A friend made a couple of fiberglass bodies from a mold he made from a real T-Bird Jr. My car never got in a magazine but we put it in car shows back in the 70s and 80s.

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
Phil: thanks.

Clyde: I love the looks of the T-Bird. What a great way for your daughter to get around! I hope all turned well medically.

Austin was able to ride in his until he was around 7 or 8 and was not happy when he could no longer fit.

When I still had my hot rod shop, a guy came up to me at a car show and said he either had to have it or had to have me build one for him. When I asked what he was willing to pay, he said no more than $300. He became upset when I told him I had alittle more than that in parts, not counting labour and it would cost him several x's that amount to have one built.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Phil: thanks.

When I still had my hot rod shop, a guy came up to me at a car show and said he either had to have it or had to have me build one for him. When I asked what he was willing to pay, he said no more than $300. He became upset when I told him I had alittle more than that in parts, not counting labour and it would cost him several x's that amount to have one built.

Rush would call this a "low information buyer'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
Here are a few more pictures of the car.
The stock version...
DSC08361_zps71c7b391.jpg

DSC08360_zps7c5b51a0.jpg

Bounty Hunter....
DSC08327_zpsf400a949.jpg

The roll cage is 1/2 inch wire conduit and the shifter is a 60's three speed bike shifter with a weed wacker piston. An old Walkman tape player (You are showing your age if you know what this is) is the sterio and it uses amplified speakers. High tech in 1994.
DSC08318_zpse5a674d9.jpg

The gas pedal is a foot dimmer switch cover.
DSC08314_zps697c9a14.jpg

This is the trunk, dual exhaust and wheely bars.
DSC08313_zps938163f6.jpg

DSC08309_zps89e9673f.jpg

The handle hooks on using a seatbelt latch.
DSC08305_zps68b61074.jpg

The battery is from a Power Wheels car and powers the headlights and taillights.
DSC08319_zps454d5e98.jpg

The front wheels / suspension are from an old door to door mail cart. It swivels using a standard trans throwout bearing. The black behind the front wheels is the carpeting on the floor.
DSC08320_zpsae937085.jpg

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A friend of mine has T-bird JR. When he was a kid he's drive it in local parades.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
About 25 years ago I restored a Ferrari Formula 1 pedal car for my son,
it had been tossed out in someone's garbage.........:eek
Well he loved it, drove it every where and even used my floor jack to
play repair sho.........:cool:
Well one day I noticed the inside of the front plastic tires were wearing away,
it was towing in terribly.........:doh.........got out the drill and made two new
wholes in the tie rods and re-aligned the car........that was a first for me, doing
an alignment on a Ferrari.......:rub...pedal car that is..........:beer

:cheers
bj