Problem with A-Arm removal for ball joint replacement

BelAir64

Hoping you guys can help;

I started into the front end on my 63 and have had a heck of a time getting it apart. First I could not figure a way to drive out the studs on the driver side so that I could remove the A arm, so I started trying to take out the steering shaft instead. After getting everything on the steering shaft loose I now can not seem to get it out. The only option I am seeing is now pulling the steering box. I have everything on the shaft loose and have gone back and forth with it but it lacks 1/4" coming apart and it will not budge. I guess my question is whether or not I am missing something on removing the steering shaft possibly or is removing the box just the standard way? I have a tear in the grease boot so I need to go ahead and fix that while I am there. Is there a trick to getting the shaft out?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I was able to drive the bolt's out when I went to tubular a arm's.Since you are that far with the shaft and you need to replace seal just loosen gear box and slide shaft out. I guess you are doing control bushing's also,but you could replace upper ball joint without removing a arm.

BelAir64

I ground the heads of the rivets off, but I could not get them to drive out with a punch. I was thinking on the work bench would be easier. Any tricks for getting them out on the bottom arm and other side? It would be nice if I did not have to pull them. I was going to replace bushings but they are still tight. Any tricks on those other than burning or drilling? I don't really want to do either...

The steering seal was fine until I started jacking with it, but now I get to wait a week on that to come in so I can put it back together.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I had to loosen the streering box bolts to move it just enough to remove steering shaft without completely removing box on 62 Belair.

BelAir64

Glad to know that I'm not missing something on the steering. I have the spindle off and rivet heads ground down flat.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Glad to know that I'm not missing something on the steering. I have the spindle off and rivet heads ground down flat.
Just take a small thin chisel and hammer and drive it between joint and control arm where it face out. Just make sure you have rivet head off .

BelAir64

Just take a small thin chisel and hammer and drive it between joint and control arm where it face out. Just make sure you have rivet head off .

Thanks! I had not thought of that. How about the bottom ones with the rivets through the sides? I was thinking drilling the center out once ground would probably work...just havn't gotten that far. The top driver side tracked me pretty bad. Hopefully I can get it done this weekend.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
The bottom joint's I cut off rivet head and take a punch and drive rivet back ,of course take nut off and pound it down .Have a support under control arm .