Project with my Grandson

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It's a buick, but I thought I'd share this with my friends here. We finally got started on the 1970 Buick Skylark this weekend. It's a 1970 Buick Skylark, 2 door hardtop, 350 with auto trans, A/C , power brakes and bench seat. It started out to be a project for one of my nephews, but he lost interest, so I bought the car a couple years ago, to build for my oldest grandson.

CIMG3093.jpg

CIMG3094.jpg

I told him that if came over and turned the wrenches on the project, I would fund it and when completed it would be his car. We don't plan a full off restoration, just freshen up and make it a safe driver for him to have during high school. It needs some seat covers for the front seat, door panels for the front, new bushings in the front suspension and alittle body work.

Well he showed up yesterday and started working on the truck area after we discovered it was full of water.

CIMG3090.jpg

CIMG3089.jpg

Only a couple of pin holes that had rusted through
CIMG3091.jpg

Well if nobody is offended by a Buick project, I"ll try to keep you up to date as we progress.

Bill

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great Project for the grandson Bill...:clap Keep us posted as to his progress...:deal

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Bill, yes, keep us up to date on your & grandson's progress on the Buick. He will no doubt have fond memories of you two working together on the car. My oldest grandson is going to Raken in St. Louis and learning about cars and has even shown interest in some of my past car projects especially the 409 powered 55 T-Bird.

Kids now days have it made - I never had a car when I was in high school (maybe 4 or 5 kids) but then I went to high school in the olden days.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Great project Bill. Grandkids are the BEST !!!. :loveMy grandson called me yesterday and asked if his Dad does'nt want the '61 Bel-Air Bubble, could he have it.:think He will be 14 this December. I told him to talk to his dad ! I'm staying out of this one !!:hide

:crazy:cheers

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looking great !!! Keep the young guys involved, especially a Grandson !!!!

DAve

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bill , Great project for both of you young men. I was going to suggest a Stage 1 455 @ Turbo 400 with a Kenn Bell switch pitch converter, and 4.11 gears, but I new I would stir things up. Never Mind, BT

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Barry, thanks for the suggestion, but for now we'll just try to make her a safe driver. If he gets into the high school drag scene maybe we'll bump it up a notch !!! Just never know, a "409" powered 70 Skylark ??? :dance:cool::cheers

Bill

S

Swiss Impala

Hello from Switzerland,
Bill, great idea, congratulations!:clap :clap
I wished more young people would have a grandpa like you! :clap :clap
Good luck with your project!

Franz

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thats a cool project!

Give that boy some ear protection. You can't fix damaged hearing!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes Dave 425 nailheads are hard to find,they only made a few of them for a couple of years[far fewer than 409's]but there were plenty of 401's made,not that I'd recommend either one.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well we are making some good progress on the Buick... Got the truck all painted with POR and splater and it looks real good. Started tearing the front suspinsion apart yesterday and got most of it apart. This part of the project got us to thinking about disc brakes. Did they put disc brakes on the 70 model Buick/Pont/Chevy mid-size cars like Skylark and Chevelle ? What would it take to convert from the drum to disc brakes ?

I'll post some pictures of the progress soon.

Bill

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Check out this item number on ebay 370484399458 for the seller is scarebird I used his brackets to mount brakes on the front of my 63 very easy conversion.And spare parts are readily available.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Well we are making some good progress on the Buick... Got the truck all painted with POR and splater and it looks real good. Started tearing the front suspinsion apart yesterday and got most of it apart. This part of the project got us to thinking about disc brakes. Did they put disc brakes on the 70 model Buick/Pont/Chevy mid-size cars like Skylark and Chevelle ? What would it take to convert from the drum to disc brakes ?

I'll post some pictures of the progress soon.

Bill
My son has disk brakes on his 70 Chevelle SS. I think they were first available as an option on the 67 Chevelle. I don't know if the spindles are different between disks and shoes. Master cylinders are different.