Proper way to remove dog dish caps without damage?

bobs409

Administrator
In my quest for dog dish caps, one thing you see alot of times is the edges damaged from prying.

Is there a safe way to remove these? Now imagine you just installed $400 dollars worth of hub caps on your ride and you need to remove them before you answer!!! :shudder

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They can be damaged installing or removing but I think most of the damage is from installing them by banging too hard on the edge causing dents.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
How bout wrap a flat tip screw driver with electric tape and twist to pry off, or the plastic trim removal tools they make now

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, I use a very wide long flat screwdriver and a small piece of 1 inch board (to protect the wheel paint) and pry slowly at 3 or 4 points around the cap. I use the wood at 90 degrees to the screwdriver, as a base to leverage the cap off as well.

Don

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I'd leave off the lug nuts and when you wanted the cap off...............just jack up the car and pull the whole wheel assembly off!!!

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I took a brake adjusting tool and cut a piece of rubber hose to slide over the tool, holding it in place with electrical tape.
I'm running steel wheels with 2 stage paint, and don't want to damage the paint, either.
Works great, for my situation.
The adjuster has a bend in it that helps to clear the wheel when prying.

I could post an image, if need be............
Just sayin.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I'd leave off the lug nuts and when you wanted the cap off...............just jack up the car and pull the whole wheel assembly off!!!
You should also i might add, put the nut's between cap and wheel ,that way if you need them they are right there!!!! :D

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
An adjustable head pry bar works pretty good on the 64 ss hubcaps, might also work on dog dish.

IMG_4185.JPG

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Bob,

I modified my standard wheel brace that Chev supplies for the bumper jack set.

I heated the pointy end around 1 1/2 to 2" back from the end put it in the vice and set a bend at around 45 to 60 degrees making sure that the bend is parallel to the flat surface.

This allows the brace to get in behind the hubcap lip that goes over the lugs, you still have to be a little gentle but no dents, I use a rag to protect the paint on the rim ( when I remember to use it )

Pissing down with rain at the moment, I will post a pic later.

Cheers

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Pretty sure the aftermarket caps are not BRASS which was the problem with the dented edges on the originals.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
they made a neat little tool for popping these off. Has a rubber bumper on one side that faces the wheel. I wrapped the metal part that touched the cap with fabric tape. Works great and no damage to the cap or wheel

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don't rush into this Bob, there may be an idea or 2 show up soon.:spank:wedgie:smash:bore2:flag:disco2

You got some goofy avatars there, had to try some more out. Don

bobs409

Administrator
Well I'm in no hurry. Car won't be done till about this time next year. Just got 2 NOS caps from Phil and not sure I even want to put them on a car!! They sure are pretty. :love

More smilies to come. I love smilies. :chill

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
VW Bugs came with 2 little holes in the outer edge of the cap and a tool that had 2 hooks on it came with the car. You used the hook to pull the cap off. German engineering.....I guess

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
VW Bugs came with 2 little holes in the outer edge of the cap and a tool that had 2 hooks on it came with the car. You used the hook to pull the cap off. German engineering.....I guess

Left over tooth pulling gadget from WWII