protecting your car

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
there's another post about stolen cars......... someone mentioned that insurance won't cover the loss if it's unattended........

It sucks !!!!!!!

My trip home with the Impala included a 5 hour much needed sleep at a motel. I parked in the lot next door to the motel so that I could at least have trees behind the trailer so the car couldn't be rolled off......... Club on the steering wheel, but we all know how easy it is to hot wire a '78 Suburban.

We can hide switches for the ignition....... hide electric shut offs on fuel lines..... the usual alarm system with sirens & flashing lights...... but we all know an experienced thief can get around all of them........

When the Impala is ready to drive I want to drive it.......... and in Canada or the U.S. I should be able to park it safely anywhere I want !!!!!!!!.......... even the Walmart parking lot........

Has anyone got any "almost" fool proof theft protection systems on their cars. I'm wondering about a GPS system but don't know anything about them. I've been told that you can have one installed that will ring your cel phone if someone so much as sits on a fender.......... Has anyone had any experience with them ?????

They might be expensive......... but I want to drive my car !!!!!!!!..... I don't need it if it has to stay locked in a garage....... what fun is that ???

Maybe if a few car thieves got shot driving away things would change.

Dave

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
there are several lojack tools you can buy today and even I am thinking about one. Most use a GPS Service to track your car via a hidden cell phone type device. Basicly your bugging your car:roll Properly hidden, like a bug, they are damm near impossible to find and most have a 10 -20 a month service fee and you can actualy track your car on line. Like the Onstar system can.
That's one system I always wondered if it could be retro fitted into an old car like ours.
http://www.lojack.com/car/pages/car-works.aspx

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That GPS system sound great. Prior to the invention of the GPS. I had a alarm system installed that worked like the GPS as soon as there was a noise or movment around the car it would set off a beeper that you would carry on you and then set off the alarm horn in the car several moments later giving you a little time to head in the direction of the car. The system was limited in it's range were the GPS would be almost limitless:brow

bobs409

Administrator
I thought of making up a dummy coil wire but never did. Pull the center core out of one and install it when unattended.

Unless the thief is a good mechanic to quickly find the problem and he brought a good coil wire with him, it ain't goin' no where. :roll

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
DQ another great find...what is your secret to finding this stuff?
robert

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Jim,

Do you remember the Dick Balch Chevrolet commercials from the mid-70's? Those were hilarious.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Get a trunk monkey !!!:brow

DQ-

I am in Kentucky staying with my father in law and there are commercials for trunk monkey here as well. Had no idea what they were talking about at first! Pretty funy commersials though. I think I will need one when my daughter gets to dating age, which should be in another 20 years!:roll

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Here's an old bar trick..........

Take the coil wire and I'll still start the car......

A section of vacuum hose the same diameter as the coil wire will fit and contains enough carbon to allow voltage to let it start up.