Pull to right on accel

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Drove car yesterday and it reminded me that it is still pulling to right when i accelerate. :wtfIt has all new suspension front and rear and i double checked ball joint's lower with load off and upper's came with new tubular arm's i put on.I checked the rear and all is tight with all new bushing's. i have raised rear with the air lift bag's in spring's . My pinion angle on differential look's normal. slightly tipped down. MHRP had a post that his was pulling left after replaced suspension. My suspension is all stock in rear except track bar and it did this from day one driving. When my frame was blasted and painted the guy noticed the frame was torn where the upper control arm attached and he welded it back in and look's like it should. It only pull's when harder acceleration ,drive's straight otherwise with no pull. All help appreciated!!!!:dunno2

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
This might sound stupid on my part,but I can't tell you what caster is for sure. I did alignment's for 35 year's and since I retired I set it up myself at home.(don't trust the so called align shop's). I set camber straight up and played with caster till it drove straight It pulled to left when I first started setting alignment.. I set toe 1/8 in. I used straight edge on each tire measuring with two tapes front and rear of tire. I centered the gear box and lined to that with toe. I have the upper tubular arm's with extra built in positive caster. Like I said it drive's straight ,no pull until harder acceleration.In all my year's aligning I have encounter pull's left and right which never caused a pull on accelerate . Usually braking would make pull more pronounced.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Torque steer is what I am getting for a rear wheel drive car. You would swear there was something loose the way it act's. I have a single spinner differential..........

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
This is mostly normal on hard acceleration Don.I can't remember when I didn't have to put left input to the steering wheel when leaving the line on a street /strip car.Even my fwd Cavalier would do it.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
This is mostly normal on hard acceleration Don.I can't remember when I didn't have to put left input to the steering wheel when leaving the line on a street /strip car.Even my fwd Cavalier would do it.
Well maybe I am over expressing acceleration ,on a medium acceration it does it .I don't remember any of car's I have owned did this . I had a new 63 and 64 back in the day and they never did that.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Don, when you say track bar, are you referring to the Panhard bar?:dunnoIs it adjustable, or fixed in one position?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Don, when you say track bar, are you referring to the Panhard bar?:dunnoIs it adjustable, or fixed in one position?
Pan Hard bar, that is adjustable . It did it from first time i drove it with all original component's. PS. I mean original front rebuilt a arm's and rear rebuilt pan hard bar.I have replaced those .Every thing is new in suspension ,sorry if I did not explain that right.

Last edited:

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Sounds like torque steer from the rear end. Single upper arm will cause this with enough horsepower, or possibly rear control arm bolt holes are worn oblong from years of use & holeshots.

Last edited:

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Don, make sure the panhard bar is adjusted correctly, or your car will dog track. I had a similar thing happen to my 64 one day, when the nut, holding the bar, to the left side of the frame, loosened up.:doh I turned the corner, on my street and then nailed it, and the car was all over the road.:eek1Scared the B-Jesus, out of me, AND my wife.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
It is ,all thing's I have done did not correct pull. I am tempted to get a global west adjustable upper arm and set the pinion up . I can alway's go back to the original control arm for measurement if needed.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
No,I have corvette rally's and I went through that finding a good set that wasn't bent.....