Pulleys not lining up

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The front lower exhaust bolt bolts the exhaust manifold to the head. The upper PS bracket slips on the threaded extension of the bolt and you install lock washer and nut. The bracket is spaced out from the manifold by the width of the bolt head. Just like the RH upper water pump bolt has the threaded extension for securing the negative battery cable. Different sizes but same principal.
Wheeeee...my finger is Tired! !!!!

I did find those bolts/studs you mentioned in Show cars. Am going to order some Monday. In the mean time, I think I accomplished everything that I would have with those bolts, by using spacers. I will change things out if I have too.

Got the alt., water pump pulley, crankshaft pulley and ps pulley all on. Looked pretty good with the naked eye. Used a steel straight edge and everything seemed to line up nicely. Went into town to a mom and pop auto supply store. Told them the fan belts that I needed for my application. They looked them up and had them in stock. Returned home and they fit like a glove. You have no idea how refreshing that was. No cutting, welding, bending heating, etc., to get them to fit. You have to love it when a plan comes together, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I just tryed the show cars bolt on a 61 409 we are converting to PS. We have Show cars repro 409 PS pump and PS generator brackets.

The special bolt with a fixed nut to hold the wrap around PS bracket to the exhaust manifold first bolt hole-was too long, it bottomed out in the head before it would tighten against the cast iron exhuast manifold. Its this part # 4269 http://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=4269

We used a bolt I bought from a bolt supplier (Bolt Depot.com) with a allen head (its has threads on the entire length) and with one thin nut and one wide nut.
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=8568 (2" long -so it would not bottom out.)
one of these nuts.
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=2662

Plus one regular 3/8" coarse thread nut.

I used the same set noted above with a 2 1/4" allen head threaded stud, with 3 thin nuts . I have Jardine headers on my 62 SS 409 with factory 409 power steering.
With the headers the flange on the headers is not as thick as the cast iron manifolds -therefore 3 thin nuts -one to hold the header, one on each side of the PS wrap around bracket
to match were it fits on the allen head threaded stud.
Paul

Pictures of 61 409 with the brackets. In the 2nd picture you can see the two nuts. A 2 1/4" threaded stud will work also - the one in these pictures is 2" long.
On my 62 SS Blue 409 I have a space between the nuts holding the header flange and then 2 thin nuts.
P1010233_tn.jpg P1010238_tn.jpg

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Paul for taking the time to post. Maybe its just me, but my ps bracket looks different from the one in the above pic. Will have to take another look at mine, Carmine.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
No spacer Nick. You need an exhaust manifold bolt with a stud off the head to space the bracket out correctly. Just like the upper water pump bolt that the negative battery cable attaches to. The upper bracket does not touch the exhaust manifold. There is a picture in the assembly manual.
409psexhaustmanifoldbolt.jpg
Here is the front lower exhaust manifold bolt for power steering. The part number is still good..#473361.......$6.58 GM retail as of today's date. Install the bolt thru the exhaust manifold. Then the upper power steering bracket fits over this. The other end of the upper bracket bolts directly to the front of the cylinder head. This keeps the upper bracket in correct alignment.

blkss64

Well Known Member
View attachment 34755
Here is the front lower exhaust manifold bolt for power steering. The part number is still good..#473361.......$6.58 GM retail as of today's date. Install the bolt thru the exhaust manifold. Then the upper power steering bracket fits over this. The other end of the upper bracket bolts directly to the front of the cylinder head. This keeps the upper bracket in correct alignment.
Hello everyone. I just wanted to let you all know that when I ordered my bolt(s) from my local dealer, I was told that while GM still has stock on this part, it has officially
been discontinued. It sounds as though they still had plenty of stock. Of course any modified 409 will not need these. Just thought I would pass this along.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
# 473361 is still active right now. I'm not sure how/where he got info that it was discontinued. Maybe it will be soon, but right now it is "active" and they have 2130 pieces at warehouse #092 (Memphis, TN). GM list price is $1.58 each and minimum buy is ONE.

(A lot of bolts/clips/etc. have a minimum order of 5 or 10. If we have something in stock like that we'll sell individually, but if we have to order a pack of 5 or 10 of something oddball we try to sell the whole pack to avoid being stuck with 4 or 9 pieces that will sit forever in inventory.)

Slightly off topic, but maybe of interest: Even though there is a warehouse up there in Memphis.....one in NC.....at least one in FL.....probably others nearby that I'm forgetting......we get our daily parts order from #034 in Jackson, MS. We are right in the middle of Georgia. How can that be right? Those other warehouses I mentioned are 2 day delivery to me. Michigan, Texas, etc. = 3 days. Usually CA is still only 3 days. Parts from Canadian warehouses usually take about 5 business days to get here.

blkss64

Well Known Member
Hi. Thanks for setting me straight. I live and work in Seattle, am in the auto repair business and buy from my closest dealer in town. They are usually spot on with info so I do not know why he said it was discontinued when obviously it is not. The west coast stocking warehouse is in Reno, Nevada. I do not know how many they have. I bought three. Have built my 409 but have not installed it yet.
Too little time, a lot of long hours at work and three growing boys. I will get to it eventually. Love this site. Jon

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi. Thanks for setting me straight. I live and work in Seattle, am in the auto repair business and buy from my closest dealer in town. They are usually spot on with info so I do not know why he said it was discontinued when obviously it is not. The west coast stocking warehouse is in Reno, Nevada. I do not know how many they have. I bought three. Have built my 409 but have not installed it yet.
Too little time, a lot of long hours at work and three growing boys. I will get to it eventually. Love this site. Jon
Jon, I wasn't saying you got wrong info. Just wondering how he got the information. It may very well be slated for being discontinued at any moment now. Some parts are killed after only a few years in production. That one we all hear about them having to produce parts for 10 years is obviously wrong.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Phil for those exhaust bolt numbers. I was looking and didn't seem to find them. I ordered 4 today at $2.37 ea. They have to come from Nashville I believe. Currently though I just put some hardened washers to space the P/S bracket. I will still need to work on alignment though. I must have some pulleys mixed.

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Does anybody have any of these bolts( 473361) to sell or know if they are are still available now from GM???

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
In my opinion that original bolt could put a bind on the bracket from my experience with 3 -409 PS setups and the bolt link that I showed from Show Cars. That's why I used a 2 & 1/4 inch long bolt with threads the entire length, with a hex end inside the bolt and the 2nd hex nut on the outside of the bracket (like my picture) to get exactly the right fit. Once the bolt is installed you can't see it, you only see the plated hex nut. I think I might have to buy some more of these thread bolts -for 2 more 62 409 PS setups - I have plenty of hex nuts.
Paul

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I purchased 4 of the 473361. I went to install one the other day, and the thread pitch is wrong. Maybe I just got a bad batch.