Pulling axles on a 63

Junky

Well Known Member
Sweet looking truck! I can remember when International and Studebaker pick up trucks were commonplace on the streets.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Another trick is to knock one of the axle retainer studs out and use a drift through the hole against the back side of the axle flange, use a BFH and Whack it rotate 90* Repeat til the axle starts moving.

bubpletop62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
What I did, was remove wheel cylinder and use a big punch thru the whole. Set punch on back side of wheel stud. Wack hard, turn axel, repeat. Worked great.
Now, wheel bearing ‘O’ rings: Put a SMALL chamfer around the inside edge of housing to prevent damage to the rings. Clean inside area of housing (where bearing slides) with brake cleaner. Put 1/4” RTV sealer around inside 1/8” lip (where bearing stops). This will provide EXTRA seal for ‘O’ rings. Clean corner of bearing so RTV will stick well. Install axel until it bottoms out to inside housing.
Worked well for me. Just a thought.
Dennis Bubp

Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
What I did, was remove wheel cylinder and use a big punch thru the whole. Set punch on back side of wheel stud. Wack hard, turn axel, repeat. Worked great.
Now, wheel bearing ‘O’ rings: Clean inside area of housing (where bearing slides) with brake cleaner. Put 1/4” RTV sealer around inside 1/8” lip (where bearing stops). This will provide EXTRA seal for ‘O’ rings. Clean corner of bearing so ATV will stick well. Install axel until it bottoms out to inside housing.
Worked well for me. Just a thought.
Dennis Bubp
RTV will also make it very hard for removal next time!!