push rods, rocker arms, and pushrod guide plates

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Next question. Are these the correct valve covers for a 63 qb block. For some reason I thought that they had a Chevy bow tie raised on them.

Attachments

• 588E3D52-D448-4404-B7BC-59A03E0A5477.jpeg
    588E3D52-D448-4404-B7BC-59A03E0A5477.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 26

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The spark plug wire holders on both valve covers are also 1964 and 1965 -409 style (the type that uses push on rubber wire holders).
I also agree the missing raised bow tie does not make them original.

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Awesome thanks for the input. Does anyone have any extra rocker arms and pivots they don’t want anymore. I’m missing two from my engine. Any any leads on some valve covers

Jayz63

Well Known Member
What is the purpose of the drippers. The blank chrome ones I have do the have the drippers inside. But I also have a nice set of offenhausers that don’t have any drippers.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Chevrolet installed them on most engines that left the factory with solid lifters, they accumulate oil and it drips off the point onto the rocker arm near the valve stem. Only the HP 409’s had them, hold onto your wallet when you buy a pair as everyone is proud of them.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Jayz63 here are a couple of pictures showing the dripper fingers. They are a sheet metal stamping that is spot welded into the underside of the rocker cover. You can usually see the spot welds on the outside of the cover.

Attachments

• IMG_3956.jpg
    IMG_3956.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3957.JPG
    IMG_3957.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 34

427John

Well Known Member
Chevrolet installed them on most engines that left the factory with solid lifters, they accumulate oil and it drips off the point onto the rocker arm near the valve stem. Only the HP 409’s had them, hold onto your wallet when you buy a pair as everyone is proud of them.
The higher pressures of the solid lifter valve springs put more pressure on the rockers and pivot balls and the manufacturers and aftermarket came up with various ways to improve the oiling there the drippers were a great idea,grooved rocker balls were another example.Chevy wasn't alone in using them from the factory,Ford and Pontiac used them also and there may have been others too.Pontiacs used a few different variations over the years.